Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is an extended warranty negotiable ?

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
Mine is about to run out on my '04 vette. I stopped by a dealer who basically just looked down a chart and gave me the price. About $1400 I think it was for 3 more years on the gold plan. I just wondered if anyone had been able to negotiate the price on it ?

Thanks

Try Black Pontiac in PA. They sell GMPP at or near cost. www.gmoutlet.com

I got a 36,000/36 mo major guard, 100 ded. for $800. My dealer would match their price when I showed them the quote I received. Give it a try. I would only get a GMPP plan for a Corvette. Been in the business for 34 years and do believe that GMPP is better than some off brand.

Donna

I think it depends on the dealer. You can definitely shop around and find dealers who are willing to give you a better deal than the "list" price.

I even found that there was a difference between the price that I got from the service dept. vs. the sales dept. at my local dealer. Crazy, huh?

Tammy

Thanks for the responses. I will try the two dealers mentioned. Major Guard eh. I thought it was called gold something or other. Guess I'll find out shortly...

thanks
lone73

Got one in the mail the other day...
www.gmpponline.com 800-981-4677

3 programs...Basic Guard, Value Guard and Major Guard...range from 870. to 1370.

I think it depends on the dealer. You can definitely shop around and find dealers who are willing to give you a better deal than the "list" price.

I even found that there was a difference between the price that I got from the service dept. vs. the sales dept. at my local dealer. Crazy, huh?

Tammy

So, who gives the best price??? The service dept. or the sales dept.??

My NJ dealer gave me a price the same way and.....(talking low now) on another Corvette site I asked a similer question and when I was told about Fictner in Montana I contacted them. Not only were they cheaper for the exact same extended warranty but when I called my NJ dealer and told them all of a sudden they would not only meet but beat their price including the no sales tax! So shop around,all I need to do is show them a print out. And if they balk at anything I will do it in Montana! Makes no difference to me.

Extended warranty's are nothing more than insurance policy's. Anyone selling them should negotiate the price with you. You would be stunned as to how little the seller actually pays for them. The mark-up's can be incredible.

Good luck............... nut

It never occurred to me that the price was negotiable when I bought it from the Chevy Dealer, but it turned out to be a great buy. It paid for the entire cost and then some within 30 days when the dealer decided to replace the pistons in my 2000's engine due to excessive "slap". That work alone would have cost close to $5000 parts and labor.

Please forgive the rookie question but does an extended warranty from a dealer in Montana do any good with a dealer in Pennsylvania?? Is your local GM authorized mechanic opbliged to honor warranty's from dealers or business other than theirs? Sorry of this has been asked before, I just bought a low mileage '01 C5 and the dealer wants about $1800 for an extended 3 year warranty. Not sure what I should do. Thanks in advance.
Frank H.

Please forgive the rookie question but does an extended warranty from a dealer in Montana do any good with a dealer in Pennsylvania?? Is your local GM authorized mechanic opbliged to honor warranty's from dealers or business other than theirs? Sorry of this has been asked before, I just bought a low mileage '01 C5 and the dealer wants about $1800 for an extended 3 year warranty. Not sure what I should do. Thanks in advance.
Frank H.

That's a good question Frank, but the policy is the policy regardless of where (or from whom) you purchased it. You could have bought the car in Montana along with an extended warranty, then moved to PA. I would sure hope my extended warranty was good in PA too. It is (or it sure as heck should be).

I would tell him that you are aware there are other approved GM extended warranty's available to you. $1800 is too much and what is the best price he is willing to sell it for. Just because a person can afford a Corvette doesn't mean we have to pay list price for everything. Check around your area, make some calls, compare the coverages and then decide.

Good luck.......... nut

GMPP Major Guard (Value guard or Basic Guard) Warranties are good at ANY GM dealership in the US or Canada....ONLY buy a GM warranty. Our dealership did business a few years back with an AFTERMARKET warranty company that had a great rating with everyone and was in business for over 31 years and all of a sudden they went bankrupt and everyone who bought their plans was up Chit crick without a paddle. Any questions on prices email me and Ill give them to you.

Rob
:upthumbs

I have used the GMPP that I bought from Fictner in Montana here in Connecticut twice. No problems what so ever with the CT dealership processing both claims.

Don

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom