Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is expensive/complicated waxing really needed?

S

Skant

I just want to take care of my car and have it look pretty. I want it to be shiny and nice, but I'm not concerned about the next car being just a bit more shiny. Not like I'm going to do car shows or anything.

Reading the various posts and web sites about the topics of cleaning and waxing (and polishing... and glazing... and clay barring.. and...), I'm actually _afraid_ to touch the car now. From what I can tell, all the paint will immediately fall off if I don't carefully apply a 63 step Zaino process over the course of 13 days... and get it just right with the right equipment and procedures...

I asked one of my friends who keeps expensive cars, and he said I shouldn't do any of it myself. I should pay a professional detailer about $500 twice to four times a year to have it done. Because it's too complicated and difficultt to do yourself.

That's pretty expensive.

I mean no offense to Zaino folks or detailers or anything... I'm certain that the big money or complicated pro systems (like Zaino) produce absolutely stunning results that will get you awards at car shows.

But I'm just this average guy that would like to wax my car and be happy, ya know?

Is that possible?

Here's what I'd like to do...

My car is a daily driver. I'd wash my car about once a week (maybe less if I get lazy... no... when I get lazy) with Meguiar's shampoo and conditioner. Simple.

I'd wax the car every three months with Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax product. One step wax. No scary clay bars and stuff. Maybe buy a Sear's orbital thingie to make it easier because I'm lazy.

I've got Meguiar's Quick Detailer I'll use for spot stuff like bird droppings and stuff any time it happens.

Plus I've bought a host of Meguiar's stuff for the interior. Which seems to be pretty easy. Just clean it when it's dirty. Simple.

If I have any problem with scratches or bird dooky that won't come out or weird stuff, I'll take it to a professional detailer for a more thorough job. Maybe do that once per year or two if I think it needs a boost.

I just use regular towels and stuff. No special microfibre stuff. I don't know if they're 100% cotton. I think they're supposed to be.

I'm thinking of buying a car cover and using it when it's parked at work (or I otherwise know it will parked outside for many hours). Mostly because I understand that if you do this you won't have to wash it nearly so often. It seems like using a car cover would be less hassle than washing every week.

So am I doomed? Will my paint be ruined if I take care of my car this way?

It seems like my scheme is a good deal more maintenance than the average joe puts into their car. But compared to what I read on this site, it seems like it's 1/100th of the effort needed to keep the paint from falling off a vette. I'm actually quite nervous.

Is it really that hard/expensive to keep a vette looking pretty?

- Skant

You're going to have a very nice looking, shiny, well cared for car for a lot of years. Drive it and enjoy it. :bu Andy

Figure everyone else on the road driving an everyday car or truck do just what you are saying if even that much. Paint seems to last just fine.

I think what you are reading is, as you said, more of a show car thing.

It all depends on what you want and how far to take it.

Meguires is pretty good stuff... I use Zymol though, I figured a couple of things... A) Zymol isn't that hard to use. B) while it is expensive (the cheapest being about $50) It lasts a long time, and winds up only being a couple bucks per wax. C) Zymol keeps the paint flexible, which is very important on any paint covering plastic, so it doesn't crack or fade (every wax will take care of the way the paint looks on the surface, very few make sure the paint is treated for long term durability)... this just makes sure you don't have to re-paint

Take a deep breath and don't pass out on us. :D I sort of got a chuckle out of your question(s) only because if you really wanted your head to spin, check out this site: www.autopia.org There is a wealth of detailing info. located there for hours of reading pleasure.

I think initially, you need to take a look at what suits your needs/lifestyle/budget. It sounds as though you have given your needs a good amount of thought - you would simply like to keep your car looking nice without driving yourself crazy in the process.

Personally, I show my car/garage queen so my methods/procedures are going to be a bit different than what you are looking for (I won't drive you crazy with my routine and list of products.)

After reading through your post, I'd first like to say please do not be afraid to touch your car. Quite frankly....I'd be afraid to let anyone else touch my car. :( More times than not, I have seen what "professional" detailers can do to a finish. I'll pass, thank you. You can think of it in this regard - the car that a "professional" detailer is working on is not theirs, many times they do not take the same degree of care with the car that you would. Doing the work yourself also offers you a great sense of pride and accomplishment, not to mention you know exactly what has been done to the car.

Do your homework; visit www.autopia.org and read. And then read some more. Ask questions. It seems as though you have been overwhelmed with information and lack confidence in yourself. I felt the same way 2 years ago, and now no one but myself details my car. My car has taken home a Best In Show win as well as other 1st Place trophies - it took time and effort, but it can be done.

You mentioned using a clay bar on your paint and that you are afraid of it - DON"T BE! The clay bar is actually a crucial part to properly maintaining you car's finish and it's not a difficult task. Think of the clay bar as your friend, or rather your cars friend. If you do not use a clay bar, what you are doing everytime you use the cleaner wax that you mentioned (every 3 months) is you are breaking off the particles on your paint's surface and then grinding them into the paint with the cleaner wax...I don't think that's what you had in mind. :(

Both Clay Magic and Mother's produce a very nice clay bar. They really are safe and effective. Once clayed, your paint should feel like glass and you are then ready to polish and/or wax.

Speaking of wax, I see your choice in waxes is a cleaner wax. Just so you know, cleaner waxes contain abrasives. That in and of itself is not a bad thing, but it does mean that it cannot be layered. If your car is a daily driver as you state, and you are waxing only every 3 months, I would strongly recommend a synthetic product in place of the cleaner wax. A quality synthetic will provide 4 to 6 months of protection. The cleaner wax that you apply every 3 months is gone from the car's surface by the 2nd wash. It has ceased to offer your car any protection long before you apply it again.

Waxes can provide great depth and gloss, but their weakness is that they really lack durability. Durability is something that you need/want on a daily driver. Ditch the cleaner wax.

As far as scratches, anything that you can catch with your fingernail will require a professional body shop repair. Don't be afraid to address other hairline scratches yourself. A thought: avoid power tools when detailing your car because you are a bit hesitant in general; start out doing things by hand to get a feel for the process. Bird bombs must be addressed asap, as they can etch the clear coat. A QD spray and quality towel are good for this.

You mention a car cover; they are a great idea if used properly. You mention using it when your car is parked at work, just remember that a cover needs to be applied to a clean car. If you have just driven X number of miles to work, your car will not be clean and you will need to quick detail it before you cover it. Not sure if you want to get that involved with it.

I will end my rambling by saying that no, you are not "doomed"; you simply need to arm yourself with more information. Digest that information, turn it into hands-on experience, and you will not want anyone else to touch your car. :) Good Luck.

PS - I see you don't use microfiber towels. That is a personal choice, but I really feel that high quality microfiber is the way to go. They are not made of cotton, but of a polyester/polyamide blend. A 70/30 blend is preferred over an 80/20 blend. Use caution when purchasing microfiber, as they are not all created equal.

Try Meguires Gold Class polish/wax for the easiest, nicest shine you can imagine, wipe on...wipe offf just use a nice clean towel to wipe off...does not dry like the turtle stuff...and delivers a great shine in 20 minutes...uless there is a cold one involved. I have gone and used 2 coats for better results. Best part is when it gets dirty just go to the car wash and use the rinse, it removes all the grime and here comes the shine back...lasts for about three months....when it rains it is like rinsing the car off. 10.00 a bottle and well worth it. I did my vette last year in the Apt.parking lot and before the day was over 7 others were using it on their auto and trucks...wish I had bought stock then.

I use Zaino and am very pleased with results...having said that I know just what you mean about being a little apprehensive about the system. Plus it is fairly expensive... like $70. to get started. Really though you can get several coats on in one day with their new accelerator additive.
I wasn't very keen on claying either, but that really works great too...you just have to make sure it is well lubricated. It really does give you a great base to start for the polish.
I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for Zaino, but it really isn't as scary and complicated as it sounds. I don't know of anyone that uses special equipment for application.
But...
There are a lot of good products out there. I know Mequiars always has a biiiiggg display tent at Carlisle. I'm sure what ever you choose you will be happy with.

Pete

Some are just “Anal Retentive”

I use Liquid Glass! Its pretty good stuff. It is basically an acryllic type sealant that is very durable. I havent gone over my car lately with it but the shine is good concidering what my car has gone through in the past 6 months.

The process is pretty simple, wash car with dishwashing detergant very thuroughly. This removes exsisting wax. Apply Liquid Glass. Wipe off. Let cure in sun for about three hours (the hotter/longer the better) and you get a shine you can feel.

I have about three coats on mine right now but I really need to do some detail work on it (its look kinda crappy but like I said, thats six months of environment)

The only way to completely remove it is with acetone and steel wool! Now thats durable!

Don't know if I would want to put anything on my car that takes a chipping hammer to get off....;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

I'm with Eagle, I use the Meguiar's Gold Class:

Shampoo and wax.
I like the easy process, and in that respect Skant, we are very similar!
But...the Liquid Glass product that Evolution mentioned sounds like a very protective finish. Can you give more info about that, Evo?

I have been using Meguiars since the paint job, three years ago, and have been VERY happy with it. I wax the 78 about 4-6 times a year, and wash her 1-2 times a week in the warm weather, and I admit...a little less when it turns cold. In the cold weather I just use a bucket of warm water with the Meguiar's soap so my hands don't freeze. I drive mine daily and I do NOT like a filthy vette!

Best advice: Always use CLEAN anything, when washing or waxing your vette. Towels, applicator pads, chamois...whatever. I also keep a vette wash bucket. Anything other than water and car soap is forbidden!

Don't let your head spin, you have already outlined what your vette's purposes will be and what effort you would like to give. Even the cheapest protection to your paint is better than doing nothing, so do what you will DO!

If the process will be long and drawn out and you won't enjoy doing it, it won't get done. However, if you would LIKE applying an easy one-step-on, one-step-off wax every 3-4 months, it will get done, and your vette and paint will thank you for it.
Heidi

How I wash my C3...

I wanted to share with you how I wash my C3.
Most of the dirt accumulates on the lower half of her body due to her shape.

My vette is two-toned, so I think my process is very easy for me to follow.
I begin washing the top 'half', the light silver areas, starting at the top, with the t-tops, glass, back deck, hood and fender tops, working my way down to the light silver sides.
The dark silver areas, the lower 'half', accumulate most of the 'grit' and road grime, so I wash these areas last.
For washing the lower half, I rinse the wash towel very frequently in the wash bucket, and try to turn the towel to cleaner areas to prevent rubbing grit into her.
Heidi

zaino's not that complicated...

...if you just go for the wax and not the clay, the swirl remover, etc. Just
3 steps. I'm no pro and I don't do real car shows:

1. Wash the car with liguid dawn dishwasher instead of car soap.
2. Apply Z1.
3. Apply Z2. If in humid Maryland summer climate, come back in several
hours. Take the wax off.

Done.

If you want one step, try Meguire's carbana wax. What you want is something
that will protect the paint so you don't ever have to paint it again.

78SilvAnniv

I dont know much more about the Liquid Glass other than what I previously mentioned. Although, my freind has a side buisness refinishing and polishing watercraft, usually larger (40-60"), seagoing vessels, and he uses a product called Akryliwerks. He swears by the stuff and he says that his clients are equally impressed by the protective finish it leaves.

The reason I had mentioned Akryliwerks is that, to the best of my knowledge, it is the same type of "finish" that Liquid Glass is. I figured that if it is good enough to weather the sea that it should be good for a car.

I have found with the Liquid Glass that even though it has been applied, it is still a good idea to maintain the cars shine by keeping it clean and reapplying the Liquid Glass at least once every two months. I am currently guilty of neglect and my cars finish is a little lack luster after washes.

The only drawback is the fact that once this stuff cures to your paint, you aint gettin it off. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a rather dedicated step.

I applied the Liquid Glass about two months after I got my 84 painted. Initially, waxes looked good. Being a cheap paint job however, I wanted maximum protection. I found that after four coats of the Liquid Glass, the paint looked even richer and deeper than ever, similar to Zaino Bros' products. Perhaps not quite as nice but I digress, as I havent actually seen thier products outside of thier stunning photos from thier website (well I may have at my four sittings of Hot August Nights, but just dismissed it as an expen$ive paint job).

I think that for overall gloss, Zaino. For protection against the elements, Liquid Glass. Its a toss up really, but mind you, once you go Liquid Glass, you cant really go back to the cars paint w/o acetone and steel wool.

I dont regret applying it though.:gap

BTW, it is probably the easiest finish to apply and remove. Even a noodle arm would have no problem finishing two cars in a sitting!

<Edit #2> Liquid Glass Link

I almost forgot to say that it will also get your windshield cleaner and more streak free than you have EVAR seen it! I mean to say :BOW ABSOLUTLEY INCREDIBLY CLEAN!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom