Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is it EVER too COLD to take out the Corvette?

C5's and C6's are out in Minnesota

I live on the southside of Lake Minnetonka, and I've seen several different c5's and C6's running around Excelsior/Deephaven during the days. I saw 2 on Friday before the nasty cold front swept through. Why not drive them? a late model corvette isn't rare, is about the same cost or less as all those pricey trucks and SUV's running the roads. But there is no reason they can't be driven, no matter how cold.

My 70 convertible sits in the garage waiting for spring.

I started my 81 yesterday,first time in a month,and let her run in the driveway for 30 minutes to get her good and warmed up,and to dissapate any fuel,oil and moisture in the exhaust.

The stock L81 fired up as if I had just started it. Temp outside was 11 degrees.

I could of just as easily took her out for a spin,roads were dry,but too much salt and calcium clouride residue.

When I was stationed in Alaska in the mid 60s, my only vehicle was a White Split Window Coupe and I had to drive it during the winters in Anchorage and Fairbanks that lasted from October thru April. Had to prepare her for the winter by changing the tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, go to straight 5W oil, and checked the engine heater inserted into the cooling lines. One morning when I woke up, it was -75 F and I waited till it warmed up to -50 F before I started the car. I was fortunate to live off-base, so I had an insulated garage. So one can drive a corvette in the cold, but it is not fun for either the driver or the car. The weather can really take a toll on the vehicle. Both of mine now winter in a heated garage. They will not be awakened until April. Last Friday it was -18 F when I went out to get the paper at 7 am. Only polar bears enjoy the cold, and they may become an endangered species.
Barrett

I'd be concerned about the aging gel coat freezing and causing more stress cracks.

Next time in gets to Zero in So. Cal. I'll chime in. ;LOL

With the temps in NY going down into the teens tomorrow, my buddy and I were arguing if it is ever too cold to take out the Corvette. He said he NEVER takes his Corvette out in 20 degree weather. I believe it's NEVER too cold to go for a cruise. What do you guys think? ;shrug

YOUR NOT DRIVING A DOZEN EGGS. The cold won't hurt it, as long as the car is prepared for winter. I take mine out in the ice cold but not in rain, snow or salt conditions. That's why I have a DD. Don't baby them, drive them.

Took mine out Sunday, 8*. 190* Thermostat opened
3 seconds every 5 min, Vette ran fine. And thank God the heater ran fine too.

:beer

I have had a handful of experiences driving in cold weather in other cars than the Corvette. I have shattered seat belt holders, cracked vinyl seats, broken steering wheels, and cracked armrests in really cold temps.
All you have to do is apply a little pressure to a normally pliable plastic piece in zero degree cold and it will shatter.

Not my Vette! Not me!:w

I drive mine all winter, it's not as cold today (9deg. F) as it's been this week. bundle up you will fine. :)

WOW - Vettes falling apart at the touch, what's your daily driver made of, wood? :chuckle

:rotfl​
That is funny:boogie

But having lived north of Canada ,most everything gets brittle at temp's below zero.

Never really had anything fall apart due to temp though.;shrug

Corvettes built after 1953 don't have any gel coat..........

What was that sticky poo poo called that they put all over my car before the last paint job?

What was that sticky poo poo called that they put all over my car before the last paint job?

Don't know, but your car didn't come with it from the factory. Many paint shops use it now without realizing that it's not 'correct'.

Even if they did use it- gel coat or fibreglass is not some horrible fragile product. Early snowmobiles (I've still got one) had cowlings made of hand laid or press molded fibreglass. Never saw a cowling crack due to the cold, even at minus -37C.

I started my 81 yesterday,first time in a month,and let her run in the driveway for 30 minutes to get her good and warmed up,and to dissapate any fuel,oil and moisture in the exhaust.

Bad idea- just let it sit until spring. The engine may have been up to temp, but nothing else. When it was brought it back into the garage, a whole new cycle of condensation was initiated, so nothing was gained.

A car is not like a dog- it doesn't need regular excersise to stay healthy. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom