Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is it just me or ????

Mac 73 said:
Hmmmm, here's a thought....

One of the reasons (in my opinion) the midyears are so popular is there were only five years of production. The C5 will be seven years of production. Will this make the C5 more collectible?

Mac,

I don't know if the C5 will be so collectible. We'd have to look at the total number of cars produced and not just the number of production years. Plus, the C2's were a pretty radical change from the C1's; whereas the C6 is more evolution than revolution.

Plus, midyears kick so much @$$!!!:L:L:L

All true of C2s PLUS, the C2 was offered in so many different drive train configurations. This did continue into the early C3 years, but due to Gov qualification of drive trains, we will never see the variety of engines, trans, and rear end ratios again. Certainly the 5 year only C2 body style is the biggest contributor to its popularity, but I think the drive trains give the potential buyer an interesting twist to consider.

worldsoldestcorvette said:
Did that scare everybody off...?!?

<sigh>
Apparently not... :L

I've had discussions (online and off) over the years about what it is that makes certain cars desirable and/or collectible. Certainly options, especially high performance options, add value. Today's models rarely have options like what used to be available back in the 60s. Production numbers also plays a significant role but there are still intangibles... things that defy explanation.

For instance, the Nash Metropolitan is, in my consideration, about as ugly as a wart on a camel's behind, were mass produced, low performance and had (to my knowledge) very few options. Yet for some reason, people are attracted to them. The Metropolitan has a strong following of collectors who dedicatedly restore these little monstrosities. Go figure!

More on topic, the ZR-1 was a limited production high performance option of a desirable vehicle. A decade later, people are still trying to decide whether it's collectible. I suspect it will be, particularly if a low-mileage well preserved one can be found. In another decade, people will be restoring ZR-1s just like they're restoring 67 427-435s now and, yes, clones will still be an issue.

It is a shame that there aren't more options out there for people to get. But I realize that it's still a business and that's how they have to make money.

Then again, the aftermarket for performance and cosmetic parts is so huge that it'd be hard not to make a Vette' to your own satisfaction.

[QUOTE
More on topic, the ZR-1 was a limited production high performance option of a desirable vehicle. A decade later, people are still trying to decide whether it's collectible. I suspect it will be, particularly if a low-mileage well preserved one can be found. In another decade, people will be restoring ZR-1s just like they're restoring 67 427-435s now and, yes, clones will still be an issue. [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe a masochist or two might try to clone the ZR1, but there is SOO much unique to a ZR1 - the special doors and rear fenders and cap. Creating a clone would prove very difficult. Also that Mercury Marine engine is not easy to find sitting around out of a car and can not be duplicated from a truck shortblock and some edelbrock heads.

LongTimer said:
Maybe a masochist or two might try to clone the ZR1, but there is SOO much unique to a ZR1 - the special doors and rear fenders and cap. Creating a clone would prove very difficult. Also that Mercury Marine engine is not easy to find sitting around out of a car and can not be duplicated from a truck shortblock and some edelbrock heads.
You're absolutely right but if the money is there, people will do it. For example, more than 60 of the original 16 1967 L88 convertibles have been authenticated by 'experts' as original. In many cases, these cars have supporting documentation. Are they all clones? Nope... but most of them are. Granted, the ZR-1 would be more technically challenging to clone but it'll happen- no question in my mind.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom