Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is it stock?

C

CharlesBrown

I'm the 4th owner of my 35th anniv. Vett. And I'm intrigued by the adds for 10 to 30 more horses offered by a variety of exhaust system sellers. Seems like the cheapest bang for the buck. Problem; this car may already have one of the "improved" systems. Therefore my question. Is there any (reasonably simple) way to confirm that the car has/has not the OEM mufflers?

Look on the shell of the muffler and see if you can see any numbers, names, or a logo embossed in the metal. Is the system all welded or clamped together?

Thx. for the quick reply. System is all clamps from the cat. on back.
Here are some numbers from the shell...
G3-8180-WGL
AE
102040B (may not be the complete number but all I could read)
Regards, Charlesbrown

Those numbers did not match anything supplied as original equipment to GM.
Part of your number does match a replacement muffler manufactured by Goerlich. They also make Merit, Arvin-Meritor, and CARQUEST exhaust products. Take a look at www.goerlichs.com

Happy hunting

Upon further inspection... Both mufflers were embossed with "GM" Didn't see anything that paralled my numbers at Goerlich.

I believe the original mufflers will only flow through one outlet.

To say the least, the stock exhaust is quite restrictive. A full exhaust system upgrade, headers all the way back to mufflers would give you a solid 20 HP gain (if not more), which is quite substantial, IMO.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom