Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is it true that GM has 2 versions of the 12 disk changer?

T

tboo

I heard that GM has 2 versions of the 12 disk changer. One for horizontal mounting & then one for vertical mounting. I ask because I just bought one from a 2002 Camaro SS & put it in my 2000 C5. I mounted it in the vertical position & am now getting a lot of skipping when going over bumps(both on cds & cdrs). Im wondering if the Camaro changer is suppoed to be for a horizontal mount only(if the rumor I heard is true). Can anyone enlighten me?

I've been researching myself - thinking about installing one in my convertible.

Part numbers I've found on different web sites:

Camaro (Made by Delco):
Most of the sites said the Non-Bose Camaro units wont work with the Vette Bose.

Vette (Perhaps someone else out there can confirm with Vette parts list):
12495746 Vertical Mount

Hope this helps.
:Steer

I think I fixed it. I drilled some holes in the brackets & mounted it horizontally. I then took it on a short juant around the block that ,before the position change, would make the changer skip like crazy. This time it didnt skip once. Hopefully that was the fix!

There are 2 different changers and they are not interchangable (no pun intended). Check with Pioneer regarding which one you have, as they make them for GM/Delco/Delphi. A Camaro unit is not made for use in a Corvette.

A Camaro unit is not made for use in a Corvette

Its working perfectly fine right now. I think when they say that the camaro changer is not interchangable with the corvette is that the corvette has a vertical mount & the camaro's is horizontal. I just modified mine to horizontal position & now it works fine.

Did you C5 already have the cable (radio to CD changer) pre-installed from factory or did you have to put one in?

I ordered both a '02 Corvette coupe and a '02 Collector Edition Trans Am with 12 disc changer. They both came in the trunk compartment mounted vertically.

I was INCORRECT on my last post! Sorry. The CD changer in my T/A is mounted Horizontally.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom