Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is My '89 C4 a Greenwood

ckwhite

Corvette
1989 C4 Coupe & 2015 Z51 Coupe
I've posted this question on a few other forums, but the response has always been mixed. I just bought an '89 'vette with rocker-panel add-ons and a spoiler (see photos). The guy who sold me the car didn't know a lot about it, but the guy he got it from said it was a Greenwood Corvette. My car came with no paperwork, at all (I've ordered it from the Corvette Museum), and there's nothing to suggest that any of that stuff was installed by Greenwood. I've communicated with a few bonified Greenwood Corvette owners who swear my car looks just exactly like theirs, but I've also seen aftermarket body add-ons you can buy at Ecklers or at MAM that look just like the ones on my car, too. I'd really like some feedback on this!

vette01.jpgvette02.jpg

If my memory is correct, when you get your paperwork from NCM you will find it is a regular Corvette. I believe Greenwood kits were add-ons and did not come from the factory. Looking at your pictures I think your car had a Greenwood kit installed somewhere in it's life.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more knowledge than me.

Nice Vette however, and welcome!

Ron
"Baldie88"

True Greenwood trim packages had a little different stuff...and it was ID'd by badges or logos. IIRC greenwood was a dealer option so it would be on the sticker AND there would be a code on the console lid or wherever the OPT/build sticker is hidden. It looks to me like $3000 worth of aftermarket ground effects that were added. If you can see behind some of the panels that helps...You can buy greenwood parts or kits from the catalogs all day. If the car did not come from the dealer as a "greenwood" then someone at home could have added the greenwood stuff. Same thing, only different. Calloway and Greenwood were the 2 big name dealer options back in the day....Lingenfelter came in later with high $$ engine upgrades.

There were so many body kits that appeared in the 80s and 90s that you can;t tell one from the other anymore...When I destroyed the fiber glass spoiler/dam on my front end that came from 1992, the exact replacement was no longer available BUT another mfg had one almost exactly like my old one..so thats what got installed. No noticeable difference. There was only so much you could do differently ! The biggest difference was colors.

If it would make you feel any better then get online and order a set of Greenwood badges to stick on the car, do some research to see where they go and call it good. :thumb

A cpl tips for greenwood sightings & ID..

GWs have a different hood...more like a formula T/A. The nose or bumper cover is different as well. And finally, the rear end is skinned underneath...meaning the bottom side has a sealed panel from the edge of the rear bumper up thru the cabin area.

G383silveraboveL.jpg
G350scwhiterearL.jpg
G572redfrontL.jpg
< ---GreenWood

Whatever you have, its STILL a Corvette and THAT is where the pride comes in

Thanks - It all helps

Thanks, guys. I'm getting enough info to draw my own conclusions - that it was certainly not a factory option, but (whether Greenwood Parts or not) was installed as a aftermarket add-on. Doubt that the paperwork, when I get it, will show anything but will check it out carefully, anyhow.
Again, thanks!:)

Certainly looks like Greenwood stuff. It is just a partial though missing the front facia and rear diffuser. I installed many of these on C4's back in the day. It is not any type of factory accessory but rather a dealer installed item. GM did make a over the counter kit ironically called Aerobody just like Callaway. Hope this helps.

Nice Car :beer
i10fwy

Thanks! Now a new Challenge....

"Certainly looks like Greenwood stuff. It is just a partial though missing the front facia and rear diffuser. I don't think that stuff was ever installed. I installed many of these on C4's back in the day. It is not any type of factory accessory but rather a dealer installed item. GM did make a over the counter kit ironically called Aerobody just like Callaway. Hope this helps."

Yep, every bit of info helps. Whatever the source of the spoiiler. Now I have to figure out how to get it off - unbolt it - with limited access to the rear panel, so I can paint the car (and also the spoiler, and then reattach it!) Work on that one, OK? :w

"I found this website which will tell you EXACTLY what RPO codes and equipment were installed on your Vette when built in Bowling Green.
Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder"

Thanks. Good shot, but my car doesn't appear in their database.

That is very strange. Every search I have done has returned a very detailed, in-depth report.

I would contact them. Maybe some sort of glitch.

:w

C4 Greenwood

Hi CKwhite and everyone else.
I bought a 1990 Greenwood in 2005, and the wife makes me dust-off the trophies. In short, that's what I think about the Greenwood body mods... as in Kewl.
I've been thinking about trading it in for a C7, but not for anything less than what I paid for it - because it's unique.

I understand that my car came from Eckler's in Florida - with 2654 miles on the odometer. It currently has less than 25k miles on it.
1990 was the first year of the Digital Dash - which I like... along with the Competition Seats & interior.
Without checking, I think this car had every available option. I did goto NCM site and order a Sales Sticker.

I have taken the time to investigate John Greenwood.
Back in the early days of Corvette racing, everyone knew everyone else. John Greenwood drove for BFGoodrich tires & Corvette in the famous wide-body Corvettes - in the 70's and 80's. I have seen 1 or 2 wide-bodies around in white and other colors, but they too are rare.
The Greenwood shop is pretty-much shut down at this point in 2012-2013, but there should be someone there for parts if needed.

CKWhite: If you love your Greenwood, try looking for a front air dam and paint it to match the red of the rest of your car. Nice color & stripes!

While most aero packages don't do anything, I'd say that the greenwood kits -Do- help stabilize the car - at speeds above 100 mph - which is very easy to do in the Greenwood.

The front air dam extends into the radiator area - which is tilted at 13 degrees (per designer Dave) primarily because it wouldn't fit straight up.
A side benefit of this is that Radar signals don't bounce back to the radar gun as easily. The cop needs to be pretty much on top of you before their Radar works.
The sides of the Greenwood package extend in under the car approx 8" or 10" - capturing the air. I have shot some pics from beneath. Sure does look like a race car.
The back side continues the air dam effect with a full cover that goes from the rear axle to the bumper - held by 3 screws - which can be taken off to get at the spare tire.

Other mods I've done include Long-tube Headers by StainlessWorks, fixing the intake (it needs to breathe...) and a custom chip by Jeremy Formatto (of Tampa FL)
Wife says it's fast enough.

BarryZ, Reading PA

I have the same kit on my car as yours and it came from Ecklers. The Greenwood rear spoiler has the word GREENWOOD cast in the ends as well as a lip in the center. See the photos at this site - Greenwood Corvette - Street C4s

C4products.jpg

Here are some pics of my Greenwood G383 which john also used as a test car.

John S
Sarasota Fl1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg110C0DEA-C40A-461B-A1F5-002DCBF96ABE_4.jpg

To get the rear ironing board off the gas tank will have to come out. Got this info from a guy who bought a new 85 & installed the Greenwood kit.He told me about it when I bought my 85.Thers some sort of reinforcements under the rear deck that have to be added.
BRAIN FART !!!
Just noticed this post is from 2012

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom