Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is oil temp hotter than water temp?

Ruby Fan

Corvette
1985 Black Beauty Coupe, 93 Ruby, 96 CE vert
I asked this question because this past weekend I was driving my '85, which is an L98 with an oil cooler, and in the frigid NE here the temp struggled to get around 150 degrees water temp. All the while the oil temp always showed a higher temp, usually by 30 degrees. Finally the water temp hit about 178, and both were pretty close. Does oil generally get hotter faster than water? I do have the digi-dash, and I know that these gauges may not be that accurate, but what do you think? Thanks

Know that if you have the KC4 "oil cooler" it's actually a heat exchanger between the oil and the coolant.

In effect, when the OAT is that cold, it doesn't surprise me you'd see that situation but...it sounds like you have a low temp thermostat installed. You may want to install a stock therm in the winter.

If you don't use Mobil1 oil that will happen....I tried another oil and mine went ski high, changed back temp came right back down.

On Avg, I would say the the Oil temp is around 20 deg hotter.. I have seen mine once warmed up, move around from a 15-30 deg hotter range, depending on what the driving condition is (stop and go or highway). As stated before.. Different oils and coolers can effect the normal oil temp.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom