Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is something missing?

sweabe

Corvette
1994 Torch Red Conv
Hi,

In my -94 Convertible, is there something missing in the red square of the picture?
IMG_0261.jpg
I saw this after having high pressure cleaned this side of the engine. It is located on the hose to the secondary air pump.

//sweabe

Look in the same space for a small vacuum hose that is disconnected.

Hib,

I have done that several times, but I will do it again.

I have searched for pictures on the net, showing this part of the engine room, and on one I could barely see what looked as a blind plug.

I have the FSM, but have not been able to locate this (yet)

//sweabe

I found it, in the FSM, it is the cover on the vacuum bleeder valve.

IMG_0265.JPG

So now it's only to find the cover, as I only backed the car into the garage after cleaning it.

//sweabe

Go to an auto parts place and ask for some vacuum caps. I've bought selections of them in different sizes. One ought to fit that.

A car buddy, owner of a German repair shop, surprised me by saying to never pressure wash any of these newer car's engines due to the myriad of electric/electronic parts.

I expect many Corvette guys do, as I have. :w

I have also read that you should avoiding using high pressure washer, however, I was not washing the engine, but the frame rails, suspension etc.

But I agree that the general rule is, not to use a high pressure washer.

"Go to an auto parts place and ask for some vacuum caps."

My understanding after having read the FSM is that the Vacuum Bleed valve should let air in during cranking

"This valve, along with turning the AIR pump "ON" during cranking, helps prevent vacuum buildup within the AIR system, wich could prevent the integral stop valve from opening"

I will look for an original cap, as just any cap might inhibit the function of the Vacuum Bleed Valve.
I may have to get the complete valve, is there anyone on this forum having such a valve / valve cup available?
Or a GM part number would also help.

//sweabe

I found some info on an F-body site, in threads about LT-1s, via my non-Google search. Are you sure there is a cap or is it just open, vented to the atmosphere?

No luck on Rock Auto or GM parts direct, either, which is not a surprise.

Maybe a Corvette recycling yard, like J & D Corvette - Los Angeles, California can help. I can call Jaime, there, if you ask.

Nice, clean car, by the way and superb English! :w

Last edited:
Whalepirot,

Thank you!

I'm quite sure that the original cap is open to the atmosphere, as the shape of it is a little special, rectangular. So there should not be any problem driving the car without it.

But I would like to keep the car "complete", it is just anoying to know that the cap is missing.

//sweabe

Original and beautiful!

This was helpful to me, as I finish the reassembly of my car and all the connections. I believe I found a similar relief valve and there is neither cap nor hose on it. Granted, my car is far from stock and that area was redone by (HACKERS: Prestige Auto Body) shop many hears ago, but it looks correct.

I went look on my 94 and its just a closed nipple with no cap . looks just like yours so i think your ok like it is.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom