Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Is the optispark an issue on 96CE LT4?

1996 LT4 Topic
J

JimRo

I was going around a left corner, getting on it kinda hard and the car backfired and quit! Dealer says optispark...caused by leaking waterpump weephole. I had thought that the opti was sorta corrected by 1995. Any input? Note...dealer wants 500 bucks while Advance auto has OEM ac delco optispark for $280.

The 95 and 96 did get the latest OptiSpark with the vacuum line supported vent holes but they can't take a leaking waterpump much longer than the old ones. So, you're probably need to replace it along with the pump.

With any LT1/LT4 car, it's always a good idea to pay attention to the smell of coolant and fix any leaks from the water pump fast.

Sorry for the bad luck.

I just had the ever so fortunate experience yesterday.

On my way to work, my car started making the strangest of sounds... I pulled over to check it out, all seemed fine.... The sound seemed to soften. When I got to work (only 5 minutes from where I was anyway) I checked it again. Turns out my belt was half shredded:(

No problem, I took it very easy on the way home, where a belt awaited installation. (I already had one sitting in the garage, not intended for my '96, but for my '93 that I sold a couple years ago now).

After letting the car cool, I tackled the belt job. An easy task, so no problem.... but what found out while in there is what stinks!

-It looks like the car needs a new waterpump, as it is leaking (a job I hate doing on LT1/4 cars):(
-It seems that my alternator is about to go south:eyerole
-It seems that my power steering pump is on its last leg (a job I haven't done before... can't be too hard though?);shrug

Since I don't want to chance a bad opti... the 'vette is home now. On the bright side, it was a perfect morning to take the Harley to work!

Water pump weep hole: has anyone ever tapped threads into it, screwed in a small fitting, and added a drain line to direct leaking coolant away from the Opti?

3TT3V said:
Water pump weep hole: has anyone ever tapped threads into it, screwed in a small fitting, and added a drain line to direct leaking coolant away from the Opti?
not that i know of, but that is a great idea!

Not sure how a leaking water pump and hosing the engine down during cleaning is any different? Does the antifreeze eat up the sealant around the opti cover?

I've hosed my engine down plenty of times, directed the stream right on the opti and never had a problem with it starting or running rough. My LT4 has 108,000 miles. BTW call superior Chevrolet, some one posted they sell them for $150 +s/h.

Thanks so much, did i mention that Advance auto now has the OEM AC delco opti for 280.00. Limited lifetime warranty. Some people have told me horror stories about Coggin. But then again don't we all have a story about some dealership. I was roadside in a nasty storm and had to get safe. Ended up at G. Moore just down the street from me. gettin a very square deal from them. I provide the opti and the water pump ( also from Advance $130.00 new) and the do all the work for 350.00.

Jim

Vette96CE said:
JimRo,

Sounds like an opti spark. You can get an Opti Spark for $334.00 at
Coggin Chevy at the Avenues on Phillips HWY. Just bought one for my LT4 Collector Edition. My total out the door was $360.38 for Opti and water pump gasket seal. Just talk to Phil at parts and tell him your friends with Jim McBride and he will give you a discount. Phone # 1-800-445 6071 Remember talk to Phil from parts to get the discount.
Good Luck, Jim McBride

Now why didn't I think of that? After all, as long as the coolant makes it to the ground, so it can be spotted as a precursor to real trouble, it could save the Optispark. While you're considering replacing the OptiSpark, look at Dynotech Engineering's DynaSpark. It's not bulletproof, but it's a lot more solid unit than the OptiSpark.

POS waterpumps.

Saw the tailtale signs on my hood a few months ago.

Sure enough, damn thing needs to be replaced.

Taking it in on Tuesday.

3TT3V said:
Problem with this idea is it will not help much. The seal/bearing is where the leak comes from most of the time. When that goes it actually leaks ou the back of the seal and not out of the peep hole. Nada you can do for that.

I realized after some more thought that you're totally correct. The leak results from GM's use of ball bearings for the rear shaft support. There's probably nothing wrong with the pump itself that a machine shop can't fix by pressing in a sealed roller bearing. It's too bad that an aftermarket outfit doesn't offer a "fix kit" for this problem. Of course GM wouldn't offer a fix 'cause that would greatly reduce the number of expensive water pumps they sell!

Before buying my 'vette, I looked at the 94-96 Impala SS. They have the same issue with the water pump and opti. There were several people who had replaced their water pump, and added a drain tube to divert the water away from the opti. Don't know if this saved anyone from replacing the opti along with the water pump or not.

opti trouble

My water pump was replaced 15,000 miles ago before I bought the car. I came up with a code that read misfire on no. 3, car ran terrible for about 10 miles then ran great again. took it into my mechanic and he told me that it sounded like the opti spark. BTW I did change all plugs and wires before taking it in. could it be anything else? anyone else ever have this problem?

Regarding the Optispark: check out the new (November) issue of Chevy High Performance magazine. There's an article on replacing the unit with an aftermarket, coil-on-cylinder setup.

One of these days I'll get around to posting some more information about it in the general forums. :CAC

I have almost 80,000 miles on the original opti-spark in my car. I had the water pump replaced at about 60,000 miles while under an extended warranty. I saw the drops of anti-freeze on the floor of my garage. My mechanic and service advisor at the Chevy dealer said that as long as you catch the water pump before it is spewing out gobs of coolant, they have seen opti-sparks get even more mileage than mine. I have not replaced any part of the opti-spark. IMHO keeping your eyes open and the engine clean will allow these units to go many miles. I actually like the timing associated with the OEM system. The timing is accurate to +/- 1 degree. You cannot get any closer to perfection.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I got over 90,000 miles out of my OptiSpark and the only reason it came out was I was upgrading the whole motor.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom