Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is there a better shifter?

J

James Price

I have a 96 Collectors Edition. I haven't had it long but I have noticed that shifting it (quickly) just isn't like my old 71 Mach 1 used to be. I had a hurst competition plus-4 on the Stang and I could run through the gears with impressive speed and accuracy.

Are there any High Performance shifters that will bolt on to these C4 vettes?

P

P-ColaVette

Replacement shifter.....

Hello James !
Before you purchase a new shifter, you may want to try what I did ? It only took me and my buddy about 30 minutes, and the only description I could voice is, it made my car shift more....."corvettelike" ? I don't know if that's a real word, but it sure was a real difference in the shifter ! What I did was basically just shorten the factory stick by approximately 3/4". My buddy all ready had the necessary tools out, as he had just finished doing the same thing to his 2001 Z06 ! He wasn't as impressed with the mod when completed on his car as I was with mine. I sent another member, Louis Bartay, a partial picture file of the process, and I possibly could find it again to send if you are interested. I will say this, I am not considering an aftermarket shifter any more !

:w
Steve.

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
Steve, I am interested in what you did. If you would send me the file, it would be appreciated.

Mike

J

johnny

Steve, I am interested too!

John

P

P-ColaVette

Shifter mod's.

O.K. guys, I will try to get that sent to you both. I need you to e-mail me, so that I will have both of your e-mail address's at my aol account, then I will attach the file when I return mail you ! Keep in mind that the article & pic's only take you thru the shift knob removal, after you do that, just use a good, sharp hacksaw, place your car in 4th gear, cut approximately 3/4" off the threaded top end of the shaft, leaving about 1/4" of the slot which the wedge goes back into when re-installing the shift knob, and then re-install the shift knob by reversing the steps in the photo's. I think you will be happy with the reults !

:w
Steve.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom