Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is there an engine designated LTS ?

T

tdr1919

I have a C4, but a friend has a C5 I believe it is a 98 and he says he has a LTS
engine. I never heard of this version.
Thank you,
Tom

from "another" Vette forum:

1995 was the ZR-1's last year. Mercury Marine in Stiliwater, Oklahoma, completed all LTS engines in November 1993. Tooling, owned by GM, was removed from Marine's factory and all engines, specially sealed, were shipped to Corvette's Bowling Green assembly plant for storage until needed.

from "another" Vette forum:

1995 was the ZR-1's last year. Mercury Marine in Stiliwater, Oklahoma, completed all LTS engines in November 1993. Tooling, owned by GM, was removed from Marine's factory and all engines, specially sealed, were shipped to Corvette's Bowling Green assembly plant for storage until needed.

Thanks Pinky!

The correct designation was LT5, not LTS, so a little confusion there. This engine was used in the ZR1 and not the C5. All base C5 coupe, convertible and FRC had LS1 while the Z06 in 2001 up had the LS6.

Leon

just goes to show, those people on that "other" forum don't know what they're talking about. WINK WINK

I was a little confused myself because the "conversation" up to that point was all about the LT5 and then they slipped in "LTS".

just goes to show, those people on that "other" forum don't know what they're talking about. WINK WINK

I was a little confused myself because the "conversation" up to that point was all about the LT5 and then they slipped in "LTS".

Hey, that's why i came to you guys! I'm a C4 owner, and wanted the straight facts about the C5, so I crossed over.
Thanks for all the info.

Tom

I'd be willing to bet the first LTS was a misstype and all the lemmings followed suit.
FWIW the LT5 ZR-1 engine was a DOHC engine that shared nothing with the small block of the past or the current design one look is all it takes to see the difference.
500_1990_ZR1_018.jpg

hope this helps to clear things up for you.
the ZR-1 was billed as the "King of the Hill" when it was introduced.

I have a C4, but a friend has a C5 I believe it is a 98 and he says he has a LTS engine. I never heard of this version.

Tom,
If your friend does have a '98, the engine is an LS-1.

:w
-Patrick

I don't think they were called LS-1's until the Z06 came out with more power; I think the "official" designation was GEN 3 once the Z06 name was revived GM came up with the LS series designation, but I may be wrong; working in the foundry is way down the line from the decision makers.;LOL

Craig,
Your post got me curious, so I checked the CAC's Model Center. I found this Press Release on the 1998's, and it references the engine as "the LS-1".

-Patrick

Craig,
Your post got me curious, so I checked the CAC's Model Center. I found this Press Release on the 1998's, and it references the engine as "the LS-1".

-Patrick
Ah so the 97 is the only orphan.;LOL I retired from GM in 98, When I worked out on the floor the "new" design heads were called Gen 3, but being a foundry we only made truck heads in the new design(cast iron).

what year did the LS-1 badge first appear?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom