Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is There REALLY An Advantage to Pre-Filling A New Oil Filter?

I have been twisting wrenches for 50+ years and have worked on most every model of 1950's thru 1980's American cars and trucks. In the C3 forums I always see members HIGHLY recommend the oil filters be "pre-filled" before installation but is there really any advantage to doing that? I say it's just a waste of time because once the engine gets started the filter gets filled within 2 seconds. The Chevrolet V8's happen to have their oil filters mounted vertically but are you aware many engines don't have vertical mounted oil filters? Many are mounted at a 45 degree angle and many are mounted horizontally which means they are impossible to pre-fill. Many of the 30's thru 50's engines didn't even have oil filters and those that did had "bypass" filters. The '58 thru the mid 60's Chevrolet V8's had cartridge-type filters that couldn't be pre-filled and the G.M dealers don't pre-fill them so why do YOU need to do it?

Another C3 myth perhaps?

I have seen many You Tube videos showing guys removing the oil pans on old engines then starting them just to see how long they will run with no oil. It's not unusual to see those engines run for a good 30 minutes at 2500 rpm before seizing. Back in about 1975 I drained all the oil out of a 2 hp Tecumseh and wired its throttle wide open. I started it and let it run wide open and it ran for about 30 minutes before finally grinding to a halt with smoke pouring from every RED HOT inch of it. After letting it cool for about 30 minutes I pulled the rope and it blasted back to life again...........running wide open for about 15 minutes before finally throwing a rod. And you think it's necessary to pre-fill your C3 filters? Ha.

I have been twisting wrenches for 50+ years and have worked on most every model of 1950's thru 1980's American cars and trucks. In the C3 forums I always see members HIGHLY recommend the oil filters be "pre-filled" before installation but is there really any advantage to doing that? I say it's just a waste of time because once the engine gets started the filter gets filled within 2 seconds. The Chevrolet V8's happen to have their oil filters mounted vertically but are you aware many engines don't have vertical mounted oil filters? Many are mounted at a 45 degree angle and many are mounted horizontally which means they are impossible to pre-fill. Many of the 30's thru 50's engines didn't even have oil filters and those that did had "bypass" filters. The '58 thru the mid 60's Chevrolet V8's had cartridge-type filters that couldn't be pre-filled and the G.M dealers don't pre-fill them so why do YOU need to do it?

Another C3 myth perhaps?

I have seen many You Tube videos showing guys removing the oil pans on old engines then starting them just to see how long they will run with no oil. It's not unusual to see those engines run for a good 30 minutes at 2500 rpm before seizing. Back in about 1975 I drained all the oil out of a 2 hp Tecumseh and wired its throttle wide open. I started it and let it run wide open and it ran for about 30 minutes before finally grinding to a halt with smoke pouring from every RED HOT inch of it. After letting it cool for about 30 minutes I pulled the rope and it blasted back to life again...........running wide open for about 15 minutes before finally throwing a rod. And you think it's necessary to pre-fill your C3 filters? Ha.

Ha. The joke is on you once again.

You are the myth.

I pre-fill my filters just because. My Dad and my uncles did it, so I do it. Just the way I was taught. Only one vehicle I have owned that you couldn't pre-fill the filter was my '62 VW Bug.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom