Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

is this a sticking thermostat or air pocket in engine

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
its on my 1990

temp gauge runs up to 240 but engine seems to feel nowhere close to that. Upper radiator hose is warm but not hot yet gets very hard. with cooling fans running there only blowing cold air. I can see coolant circulating inside that black recovery thing mounted by the firewall coolant seems to be running from one on the small hoses inside of it.

sorry but I'm new to one of these vettes so dont want to start replacing things blindly so thought I'de ask you opinion

while on the subject, doesnt this car have a thermal sensor to trigger the fans? I know I am getting power to the relays as well as an ignition feed to them however they will only run when the ground feed wire to both relays is grounded then both fans come right on.

Based on the starting post, I'd let the engine cool then change the thermostat.

The fans are controlled by the ECM on a 90 based on ECT and A/C head pressure.

That "black recovery thing" is not a coolant recovery tank. That is known as a high-fill bottle and is where you check and fill the cooling system. The coolant recovery bottle is the white thing in the well ahead of the right front tire.

I also forgot to add this upper level tank as you call it gets under pressure and coolant gets real hot inside of it.

I tried touching the core and tanks of the radiator and they were cool as well.

is there a certain process for getting air out of the cooling system and maybe thats whats wrong with my car?

doesnt this car have a thermal sensor to trigger the fans? .

2 Units.
The CTS at from of intake is the temp signal for ECM operation (and fans)
The gauge sensor is in the pass side head.
As you state if you don't have coolant flow ,then it is possible that the CTS is not seeing enough heat to reach the fan ON temp ; approx 225 while the gauge sensor is getting hot.
I vote for the thermostat ,I have also had the bottom hose collapse blocking flow

Not sure on remote tank units but on the early C4's
you get engine warm ( not hot ) , remove the radiator cap ; rev the *&%# out of the engine ( you can see the
radiator level drop) and pour in as much water as you can and replace cap while holding the revs .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom