Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Is this Vette an LT4?

1996 LT4 Topic

froggy47

Corvette
Black 1996 LT4 Coupe/ 2004 Z06/Z16
I'm shopping for a ZR1 or LT4 and looked/drove one today. The owner had the original window sticker & it listed a 5.7L FI engine option for about $1375. It was a 1996, red/black coupe.

Also the engine had black crinkle paint and it said Grand Sport on the front of the engine. The car was NOT a Grand Sport.

Thanks!

The LT4 has the Grand Sport Engine. My window sticker shows----5.7L SFI V8 330 Horsepower Engine $1,450.00.

All LT-4 Vettes have a red intake and the throttle body has Grand Sport on the top cover. All LT-4 vettes have a 6-speed manual transmission.

All LT-1s have an automatic transmission and the intakes are bare aluminum. The throttle bodies have just a blank cover on the top of them, but there are aftermarket throttle body covers available which say Grand Sport

Just look at the rpo codes, the RPO code for an LT4 is LT4. :duh ;LOL Joking.

Here is a link that may be of some use for you.
http://www.supervita.com/Vette/LT4.htm

The label is found under the small storage lid. ? I'm too lazy to check right now, plus tired. :)

Thanks for the replies

It's an LT4 then. Car was very nice, 40k miles but had a pretty wet (oil) pan & other parts of the chassis. I would venture a front main seal leak. Not huge but not minor either. Is this expensive to fix? Leaks drive me nuts. Thanks.

The engine felt strong, but not quite like a ZR1 or the Z06's I've tested.

Front main seal on a normal car are inexpensive but a latter C4 can run into some money. I have the same problem and you basically have to take the steering rack off to get at it

Just had oil leaks at intake manifold and oil filter repaired on my LT4 at the local Chevy dealer, and it cost about $625. They had to pull the head and other time consuming items to complete the repairs so I was not surprised by the bill.

Thanks,

This guy wants 25K for a 96 lt4 coupe 40k miles & I think that's too much anyway. I've come to the point in my search where I don't get my hopes up too high. The cars so far are either overpriced if nice, or trashed. Dealer trade in on this is about 13K, for the life of me I don't know how this guy thinks he's going to get 25K! New was only around 37 I believe.

Oh well, there's always the next one to see.

As always thanks for the feedback. One of these posts I will replace that Vette ownership from "looking to buy" to "owner of ........"

25K with 40K miles is way overpriced. I just paid 25K for a 14K mile example that had never been in the rain.

Exactly my feeling.

jon81 said:
25K with 40K miles is way overpriced. I just paid 25K for a 14K mile example that had never been in the rain.

I agree, a Grand Sport with 18,xxx miles just sold on E-bay for $26,100!!

25k is too high for that car w/the leak. I paid 23.9k for mine in june, w/13k miles and it is perfect. The original sticker was almost 42k. Get him to come down or keep looking. Guy

Re: Thanks for the replies

froggy47 said:
...had a pretty wet (oil) pan & other parts of the chassis. I would venture a front main seal leak. Not huge but not minor either. Is this expensive to fix? Leaks drive me nuts. Thanks.

I had 2 leaks on my LT1 based car - one was front seal and it makes sense to replace the opti-spark at the same time (since you are down there)
other was from the oil sensor on the side of the pan - cheapo part that the seal went on it - Done :) no leaks from there now

FWIW, my friend just sold a 60k mi LT4 coupe for 14k in VA

16-17 is about it for that car w/ 40k on it - hope this helps :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom