Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: It’s Mine: Calgarian's 1963 Sting Ray a powerful passion

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
It’s Mine: Calgarian's 1963 Sting Ray a powerful passion

Split-window Corvette put out 340 ponies

By Robert K. Rooney, For the Calgary Herald
May 16, 2013

attachment.php

Andy Nyenhuis and his 1963 Corvette.
Photograph by: Leah Hennel , Calgary Herald

Chevrolet introduced the Corvette in 1953. As an attempt to prove American companies could produce a world-class sports car, it fell a fair way short of the mark. Still, Chevy persevered and, by 1962, the Corvette had evolved into a pretty decent piece of sporting machinery — aided in no small part by the gobs of power available from Chevy’s small-block V-8.

The 1963 Corvette was a significant leap forward. With its more sophisticated chassis and suspension, the body was both lighter and stronger. For the first time, wind tunnel testing had been used in the styling process so the car was not just striking in appearance, but more aerodynamic than ever. Previous ’Vettes had been convertibles with optional, removable hard tops. The ’63 came in two models, a convertible and a coupe. The coupe was distinguished by its unusual rear window that enthusiasts soon labelled the “split-window.” All in all, the new sporty Chevy was so new that it even got a new name. The cars weren’t just Corvettes any more. They were Corvette Sting Rays.

Somewhere around 1980, Andy Nyenhuis was at an Alberta Post-War Car Society barbecue with his father. The father and son had worked together to restore a Chevrolet pickup. “Somebody pulled up in an old Corvette,” Nyenhuis recalls. “I knew I had to have one. When I had saved enough money, I think I was 20, I bought one.”

Full Story: It’s Mine: Calgarian's 1963 Sting Ray a powerful passion

Attachments

• 8395743.jpg
    8395743.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 155

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom