Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: It's a COLD BLOODED BEAST:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
I'm still trying to get my new first Vette right.

When it's cold and I try to crank it, I also have to bribe it.
It want's to start, but it don't. I'll turn it over some more and when it starts I have to pamper it with the accelarator pedal for about 15 to 20 seconds to keep it going. After that it will idle on it's on, but not smooth.

After idling for about 5 to 7 minutes, it's like something kicks in or like you flipped a switch and it starts purring like a kitchen.

If I kill it then try to start it right away, it's hits right off.
But as it gets colder you have to turn it over more and more before it will start.

I have done pretty much a comlete tune up. Cap,rotor,coil,control module,wires,spark plugs, new air and fuel filter. The timing has not been checked.

Is this cold problem normal, or do I maybe have a problem.

Thanks, Glenn:v

I had a problem simmilar to that on my old '85 K5 Blazer. Tuned out the electric choke on the carb was not hooked up. Once I got the choke running, it was much easier to start on cold winter mornings.

:thumb Jason

Are you talking about the electric choke as Jason above?

Yes, electric choke, on the passenger side of the carburetor. It should have a wire coming out the side of it.

-Tatortot

The Cold Blooded Beast:

Well if at first you don't succeed, read the OWNERS MANUAL!

I did, and it said that when the engine is COLD, to press the accelrator pedal down slowy and release it slowy 2 times. Then turn the key.

By Geroge it worked like a charm.

:bash

That's the way these older cars were!!
they were cold blooded beasts till they warmed up!:thumb

everybody has gotten spoiled with all the computer controlled,fuel injected cars of today,So we've all forgotten what it is like to start up a car with a carburetor on it let alone one that is almost 30 years old and probably alittle out of adjustment...:ugh:ugh

That's the way these older cars were!!
they were cold blooded beasts till they warmed up!:thumb

I don't agree. I owned lots of 60's, 70s and 80s cars with carburetors. Even with bitterly cold winters I never had to deal with the issues the OP had.

Some cars needed a block heater just to be able to turn them over but that's got nothing to do with the carb.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom