Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Jack Stands

B

Bernard

Could anyone suggest a good name brand Jack Stand and minimum ton rating - I heard enough stories about accidents w/ cheap equipment such as this!! Does anyone use 6- 2 for each side and two for the front ? Thanks

These car weigh about 3400 pounds; maybe a bit more or less. With stands rated at 2 tons (4000 lbs.), four used, each stand is holding less than 1/4 of its rated weight; half when upping the car.

I typically use three stands for routine and short term work. My stands are older but sturdy. I stay away from the sheet metal ones, thought the one I have works fine.

I would seek stability over weight rating. Accidents happen, I believe, due to the car rocking off, not stands collapsing. Eyeball the candidate stands and buy a rugged unit with a good base design. You might find some real good ones at garage sales, if cash is a concern.

Good stands will last forever, so I'd not scrimp over bucks on this item that holds by (heavy) baby over my chest. Careful with the Chinese made tools. Their metallurgy leaves a lot to be desired, while LOOKING rugged!

:w

I agree. I typically work with the minimum amount of jack stands, however I make sure to chock the wheels to prevent it from rolling. I also place a hydraulic jack near the jack stand and have it jacked up so it ALMOST supports the vehicle. (a TINY space). I figure that if the jack stand(s) fail, I have a nearby backup system. But I NEVER use a jack for primary support.

I have two 6 ton stands which I use for the front under the sway bar mounts and two 3-ton stands that I place just in front of the rear wheels.

If I remove the wheels/tires, I place them under the door area as a precaution.

I use six if the car is going to be in the air more than a few hours - two per side on each side frame rail and one per side under the front of the frame to prevent frame creep. I, too, use wheels as an added measure of security under each frame rail whenever possible.

As has been said, don't scrimp on $$$$ when it's something that can very easily kill you. BUY AMERICAN - it costs more but I don't like the risks involved otherwise. I have some links at home for companies that sell US made ones and will post later. Lincoln used to sell all US made ones but their lower end units are now Chinese.

Ac Delco satnds can be found at my local O'Reilly's at $10. Craftsman are a bit more and there are plenty made of good quality. The backup systems are a great idea. The higher the weight rating, usually the taller the stand. Just ask yourself, "what's my life worth?"

--Bullitt

Thanks for all your replies on the jack stands!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom