Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

jumped starter

i jumped it from some wires by the fire wall does that mean solenoid is good.. i did jump at starter at first ...

If the starter was activated by shorting the wires at the fire wall, you demonstrated that the solenoid and starter functioned properly. Your problem is not with your starter or solenoid. I assumed you shorted the starter posts, by-passing the solenoid.

thanks yes with wires on top of fire wall .are what i use now to start car. any other thoughts..

....... wires on top of fire wall .are what i use now to start car. any other thoughts..

If you are looking for a simple fix, you could just extend the wires from the firewall to a hidden 'momentary' switch under the dash so you can control your ignition from inside the vette. You should measure the amps when you connect the firewall wires so that you install a comparable amp switch.

I am assuming the firewall wires activate your starter, and that you separate the wires when the engine fires. Do you stop your engine with the ignition key?

If you are looking for a simple fix, you could just extend the wires from the firewall to a hidden 'momentary' switch under the dash so you can control your ignition from inside the vette. You should measure the amps when you connect the firewall wires so that you install a comparable amp switch.

I am assuming the firewall wires activate your starter, and that you separate the wires when the engine fires. Do you stop your engine with the ignition key?
I TOUCH ONE WIRE TO ANOTHER WITH JUMPER AND THEN TAKE JUMPER AWAY.
YES THATS THE PART I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT WILL TURN OFF BY KEY BUT NOT START BY KEY

I TOUCH ONE WIRE TO ANOTHER WITH JUMPER AND THEN TAKE JUMPER AWAY.
YES THATS THE PART I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT WILL TURN OFF BY KEY BUT NOT START BY KEY

OK, I understand your situation. As I suggested, you can just run the wires through the wall to a momentary switch to start your engine. The switch will make the connection (just what you are doing when you 'jump' the wires). Just make sure the switch can handle the amps. If you are not familiar with a momentary switch, it requires constant pressure to work, and is spring loaded to release when the pressure is removed. The switch can be a push button or toggle with a normally 'off' position. It requires you to move it to the 'on' position, and releases automatically to 'off' when you remove your hand/finger.

Disconnect the battery, if you are going to add the switch.

OK, I understand your situation. As I suggested, you can just run the wires through the wall to a momentary switch to start your engine. The switch will make the connection (just what you are doing when you 'jump' the wires). Just make sure the switch can handle the amps. If you are not familiar with a momentary switch, it requires constant pressure to work, and is spring loaded to release when the pressure is removed.

Disconnect the battery, if you are going to add the switch.
switch sounds like a good plan but i do not plan on using car till next spring just got car and have all winter to work on it so i would like to fix it the right way..with out taking it in .it looks like it will take all winter ..LOL so if it turns it on why noy off???????????

Fixing the starting system correctly is preferred, but you may have to rewire the system, as it appears that there have been some modifications installed. If you want the system stock, you will need a wiring schematic, and take one step at a time from square one. This is not an easy job, especially when you may be confronted with non-stock components and wiring.

The 'start' cycle passes through several components for theft prevention purposes. The 'off' cycle using the key is just disconnecting power and does not address theft.

Fixing the starting system correctly is preferred, but you may have to rewire the system, as it appears that there have been some modifications installed. If you want the system stock, you will need a wiring schematic, and take one step at a time from square one. This is not an easy job, especially when you may be confronted with non-stock components and wiring.

The 'start' cycle passes through several components for theft prevention purposes. The 'off' cycle using the key is just disconnecting power and does not address theft.
what components are we talking about and where are the location of said components someone tried to bypass the seatbelt and i hvae a wiring digram on order and service manuals

i would like to thank you we by passed the n/s switch and jumped with pink and purple wires and it started with key ...thanks again

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom