Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just got my 93

fredk

Corvette
1993 White
Hi Guys and Gals

Just got my 93 and already have a question. The weather stripping is not attached on the rear hatch, what would be the best glue to use on this? Just went for a 350K cruise and could have kept going all the way to Florida. It sure is a different car than the 74 I had 24 years ago.

Thanks for the help.

Fred from Canada

Welcome to CAC and congrats on your new ride!!!! The weatherstrippping on the C-4's is known for deteriorating. More than likely the hatch strip needs replacing. Is it separated in the lower corners? There are quite a few places that sell aftermarket replacements along with the adhesive. If you do a search in the C-4 tech discussion you should find quite a few posts on the subject. Good luck and don't forget to wave! Tim :w

The rear hatch weather stripping is not glued in place. You have to remove all the trim pieces around the hatch (including the "halo" trim); the gasket then pulls right out. You should notice some white goo that was used as a lubricant when the original gasket was installed. After the new gasket is installed and the trim pieces hold it in place.

I did this last winter - it took the better part of a day and the better part of a six pack. The most difficult part is getting the new gasket in place; I believe that warmer is better - it was 60-65 degrees in my garage.

Thanks guys

The weatherstripping is just sitting there, there doesn't look to be any excess to fasten to the trim. I guess that means some new weatherstripping.

The previous owner of my '93 trimmed off the original gasket flush with the trim panels and then glued two pieces of a generic weather strip in place. He beveled the two pieces where they met in the corners. It not only did not do a good job of keeping out water, it was ugly.

Really, no glue you say. Have you any instructions or diagrams for this? I have the same problem, the previous owner not only "re-glued" it he also cut a slit in each corner for some reason. The thing leaks like crazy when I wash the car. A winter project for sure.

fredk said:
Thanks guys

The weatherstripping is just sitting there, there doesn't look to be any excess to fasten to the trim. I guess that means some new weatherstripping.
What happens is the rubber sealing part splits off from the securing trim that holds it in place. Indeed it was originally two peices that were glued together. The fix is simply to glue it back together with super glue after using wax and grease remover to clean it.

Richard.

It is really a simple, straight forward job - just time consuming when trying to get the new gasket seated in-place. Start by removing all the trim screws and then the trim. You do have to disconnect the hatch struts and defroster wires.

If you think you will keep this car and do a lot of work on it yourself, do yourself a favor and get the Helms Service manuals - a two part set that is $100-$150 from Helms.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom