Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

just looked at a 72LT 1 need help please

M

mark g. ranzing

ok,here we go..just checked out a 72LT 1 ..can pick it up for $6000 right now if i decide..the vette has been stripped down but is mostly complete.the frame had two problems..where the door opens on drivers side ,the panel u would step over to get into vehicle is rusted out..in the front end the frame secction behind the radiator,where the struts and suspension are had a few rust holes right threw it.. the front had a crack where the headlights come down,right in front of the lights above the bumper..rear bumpers were rusted but front still good in box..the engine fired up but the carb was set wrong and shot out gas so it started on fire right away just like he said it would..4 speed looked and seemed good..gas tank had a hole he tried to fix but would need replacing..seemed like a hole lotta work..if u didnt know about cars and u seen this vette u would think it was a junk pile,but we know better..the whole ignition system was changed to msd ect..but the rest of engine seemed stock..now the # on the block where all right but on the last letter CKY the Y was a thicker stamp and in a higher location then the rest of the letters,it looked outta place???? i wouldnt pay $6000 for this vette if it was just a 72 350, so i need to make sure it is a LT 1...the fifth digit on vin was a "L"...so what are all the thoughts on this...ohh ya the dash is missing and not in the spare box parts,but the tach and speedo along with other gauges were still installed..

Walk away from it......PERIOD. You have a Vette already.....put that money towards the Vette you have now! You know down the road, your Vette will nickle and dime you. Just think, you already have to cash when it happens. That wasn't a nickle and dime talking... just my 2 cents worth.

Agree,..Just Walk Away From That Car

Mark,..I am assuming that u r speaking of the LT1 being advertised for sale in the Honolulu Advertiser for 10K OBO,,,...I also checked it out,..a total piece of work, u're right,..#'s very suspect with no authenication paper work i.e. window/tank sticker, protecto plate etc,...if this is the car it needs as you say framework, paint/fiberglass and pretty much a whole new interior, not to mention lots of cosmetics etc.,..u'd be an easy 12K, probably 15K and more to put it back on the road plus it is supposed to be original color of Steel Cities Gray,..in my book not a very popular color and somewhat like "no sale greens" when it comes to color popularity at resale time. Restoring a 'Vette is a very expensive proposition here in the islands even doing the labor yourself but more importantly given the cost of procuring and shipping damn near everything you'd need for a project car in that condition. Tom Save the Wave!!

hey thanx for the input all..hey tom id love to c ur LTI some tome and hope i do..i,ve been wanting one for so long..i love my 1980 l-82 that i restored,but it is only with me untill i find a nice 70-72 LT1

hey thanx for the input all..hey tom id love to c ur LTI some tome and hope i do..i,ve been wanting one for so long..i love my 1980 l-82 that i restored,but it is only with me untill i find a nice 70-72 LT1 OR BB...I RELIZE THIS VETTE HAS A LOT OF WORK NEEDED but if i was 100% sure it was the real deal i would probably get it ,but im just not to sure of the #......

Come and Take A Look

Mark,... I'll have the car showing with our Club out at the Pearl Harbor Fourht of July celebration on the 4th from abot mid day till early evening and I also plan to be out at Wendy's crusie-in nite on Sat July 6th in Kapolei. I'll show you what the front pad looks like and that way you can compare the pad differences with the car that you've looked at. Look forward to meeting u and talking some LT-1 story ...Tom Save The Wave!!!

I would reject the car on the basis of the frame rust. Rust is like an iceberg, you only see the tip. Get a solid frame, a straight body and a legitimate LT-1 car. It is easier to correct the engine to LT-1 specs than it is to repair rust. Remember, rust never sleeps. Just my opinion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom