Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just Saw The C6

veteluvr74

I just got back for the NYC autoshow and saw the C6!! It is very impressive. I loved it before and I am much more impressed now that I have seen it in person. It looks so much lower to the ground then the C5. You can tell right away that it is not as long. They had both the coupe and vert there. I cant say enough about it.

What I was completely shocked about is how much pomp and circumstance there was around the new vette by Chevy. You guessed it, there was hardly any. I remember when they were showing the 97 C5, there was a huge display with lots of lights and sounds. Nothing there today. Unless I missed a big demonstration there was not much at all. However, after leaving the chevy display, the Ford display wasnt that much further away from it, you couldnt get near the displays for the new Mustang, GT and the new Cobra. It was a stark contrast compared to the chevy display.

Needless to say, if you live in the NYC area, go and check it out in person. It is so much more impressive in person then in the pics.

Thanks for the heads up..Weird how chevy isn't spending dime one on promoting the car like they did in Detroit or LA..

budget cuts?

Sad...bet they promoted the hell out of the???? cobalt SS? or malibu max! :lol:

They know it will sell regardless of the lights and promotions.

The Vette does not need alot of advertisement. It promotes itself and we promote it.

I figured that was the case, however, i thought chevy would have more to do about it then they did.

Fwiw..when I was at the show in NYC...yesterday..they had a very knowledgable (sp) and beautiful young lady go through the corvette both coupe and convertible..and she was quite informed .....and a HOTTIE too!

Anyways...she continually made mention how this new base C6 was the fastest ever corvette...even faster than the king of the hill...and how this new C6 was 79 lbs lighter than the C5...and how the new keyless system worked and why it was better than even lexus...and...the new z51 package was better because of the new coolers..and gearing and something..I had forgotten..

Better tires? I didn't realize or remember that the z51 gets different tires too...

Anybody got any details on this? They are just hotter runflats?

The cars looked hot....the two beauties answering questions looked hot..

Nice cars....

if i didn't already have a C5..I'd definitely buy one of these new cars...

Personally I don't like the new see the inside of the 3 lightbulbs in the headlights look..but the rest of the car is stunning..I'm sure I would either mod the headlight with blackout covers...or just get used to the new techno marvel look and enjoy the new car..

Ford did have quite the show on with three HOT sports cars together..

The ford GT
Ford mustang
Ford Shelby Cobra..

With the video...of the three cars racing around LA or something..it was like the BMW advertizement movies available to see on the net..

That was a great idea..as the crowds around the three FORD cars was soooooooo packed..up top everyone could watch that very hot video action which was actually better than seeing the cars sitting on the stage..

This is one time Ford definitely had a better idea...

but its probably because GM spent the money on LA and Detroit for the bigger bang..

New Corvette C6 isn't available till end of the year with plenty of C5's left to sell...maybe thats why?

Silver with ebony interior was hot color for the car..

Precision red under florecent lighting didn't impress me..but like I said..it probably was b/c of lighting..

Out on the street I bet its beautiful too...

although personally I like the darker color interiors of the ebony/black combo..as it ..just seemed to go with the silver accents GM has chosen for the C6..(if anyone cares..I'm just shooting this as an opinion and we all know...each of us has our own opinions so no insult intended to those who like tan interiors)

I thought the interior with the ebony was sharp as hell..

Big win in my book..and the new door opening thing was cool too..

Styling in person overall was much nicer than any of the photos I've seen on the net or in mags..

WHERE WERE THE HOTTIES on Saturday!! I am going back next weekend. I have to see them now, oh and to see the C6 again as well. It is definitely more impressive in person.

I got a chance to try out the new door handles on the XLR. Very cool stuff.

There was nobody to talk to about it when I was there. I have to definitey check it out agian.

I'm guessing there will be some new privately owned C6's at Carlisle in late August. Getting the new owner opinions should prove interesting. And who knows - maybe one or two of them will be HOTTIES.

Remo:cool

I was at the Houston Auto Show, and, in another series of postings, also noted that very few people were around the new Corvette but lots were around the Ford GT and Mustang GT.

I went to the NYC show yesterday. The new Vette impressed me but there was nowhere near the excitement around the corvette display as over by the Fort Gt, Mustang and Cobra. Ford really spent the bucks and provoked a lot of enthusian over at there end of the convention center. Over by the Chevy area it was more like "hey there's the new vette! Nice Car! ok lets see what else they have had the show" No big crowds hanging around and talking about the cars like over at ford.

Arizonadreams said:
I went to the NYC show yesterday. The new Vette impressed me but there was nowhere near the excitement around the corvette display as over by the Fort Gt, Mustang and Cobra. Ford really spent the bucks and provoked a lot of enthusian over at there end of the convention center. Over by the Chevy area it was more like "hey there's the new vette! Nice Car! ok lets see what else they have had the show" No big crowds hanging around and talking about the cars like over at ford.
At the Houston show, the new Chevy that got all the attention was a concept car, whose name escapes me at the moment. It sort of had a Ferrari Daytona-esque rear, but what really stood out was that it had very well done separate shark-like gills on the side of the front fenders. Some of the problem may have been that at the Corvette stand the car was just sitting on a slightly elevated platform, and the convertible was on a lower platform with a simple rope around it. It was almost as if GM didn't care, frankly, but I am surprised that they wouldn't have pulled out more stops in New York. The new Cadillac-vette wasn't getting that much attention either, although it was better displayed, neither was the new Chevy Cobalt getting any attention. Really, nothing GM got much attention, except a great big old special edition Pontiac or Buick(?) "Fiesta" convertible from the 1950s that was simply great---very Harley Earl over-the-top, but it had a real presence, and one can easily imagine how much fun it must have been on warm summer nights long ago.

My neighbor that has had two red C5 convertibles...in a row.. (98 & 2001)

last time I spoke with him..he was going to get a C6..and spoke with his dealer to order one.. Ordered it up fully loaded z51/ powertop etc.. moneys not an issue for this late 50's gentlemen...

This weekend he goes to the Auto show..sees..the C6 vert and abruptly cancels his order with the chevy dealer and orders up a Lexus Convertible..

I just happen to see him today and thats when he was telling me the story..

He looked over and said..I love the present Convertible I own...but I hate the new C6! He said he couldn't own it.. It was that bad...(and he had seen the net reports and all the magazines etcll

The interior was just terrible he said...A real disappoint...and he said he hated the exterior changes as well!

Now this guy loved his red M6 Z51 2001 30K mile Corvette convertible..

Is the C6 that much different?

Will a lot of C5 owners feel the same way?

Anybody else surprised...

Ford put on the same presentation at every big show, with the exception of Detroit, which got the debuts and needed to be a little spiffier, of course.

I've watched videos of the presentations of the two companies, and the Ford one just seems more hyped up. The Corvette debut in Detroit seemed somewhat muted and calm, while the "Performance Trilogy" cars from Ford got a whiz-bang intro with the aforementioned video of the three cars tearing up the roads of some urban area (admittedly, the Shelby isn't seen in motion and any shots of it "moving" are CGIed), with the GT and Mustang weaving in and out of each others' paths, the Mustang shown powersliding like mad around corners, leaving black strips at red lights, and so on.

The big difference in the Mustang/GT/Shelby presentations and the Corvette is that, while the GT will sell no matter what and the Shelby is just a concept, the Mustang is pretty important to Ford's success. It's the soul of the company almost, and for it to bomb would be extremely damaging. Chevrolet can afford for the Corvette to bomb because it isn't as important to their financial health as the Mustang is for Ford. It's a simple matter of market volume.

The Corvette introduction reminded me of the Canadian intro videos I saw for the various companies. Very quiet, semi-enthusiastic, just kinda blase. Yes, the car will sell regardless of hype, but you think they'd spruce up the introduction of their flagship car a little.

Kotzenjunge said:
The big difference in the Mustang/GT/Shelby presentations and the Corvette is that, while the GT will sell no matter what and the Shelby is just a concept, the Mustang is pretty important to Ford's success. It's the soul of the company almost, and for it to bomb would be extremely damaging. Chevrolet can afford for the Corvette to bomb because it isn't as important to their financial health as the Mustang is for Ford. It's a simple matter of market volume.
And this from a guy who owns a Xanamobile. Kotzenjunge - the financial heart and soul of Ford Motor Company is their truck division. Other than that how are things on Xanadu?

I am just amazed to see that so many of the people who, like me, have seen the new Corvette and the new Fords at auto shows have noted the same relative lack of enthusiasm and lookers around the Corvette display, and the lack of any pizazz on GM's part. Frankly, I think all of us who subscribe to this FOrum have shown far more enthusiasm than Chevy---designing a display "show" for a new Corvette would be a blast, yet you'd never think it from what Chevy has done! As to the gentlemen who cancelled his C6 order after seeing the interior, I think the main problems are the top of the new center console and the appearance of the seats---they both look decidedly mid-level and dated, even if the quality of the materials is high, which I am not sure that it is since the cars were off-limits from touching/sitting. They surely don't LOOK higher quality. This all makes me wonder whether we might see some changes before the car is actually released to customers (e.g., tweaking the interior). The history of the design of the car has been replete with many "re-dos".

Remo said:
And this from a guy who owns a Xanamobile. Kotzenjunge - the financial heart and soul of Ford Motor Company is their truck division. Other than that how are things on Xanadu?

With the degree that Ford has invested in not only the Mustang, but all of their 2005 projects, success is absolutely needed. Same with the other companies making big charges this year. 2005 will be huge.

JBsC5 said:
The interior was just terrible he said...A real disappoint...and he said he hated the exterior changes as well!

Now this guy loved his red M6 Z51 2001 30K mile Corvette convertible..

Is the C6 that much different?

Will a lot of C5 owners feel the same way?

Anybody else surprised...
Put it this way: they're looking to expand their market, and though Dave Hill has said they don't want to lose their current followers, you can't have your cake and eat it, too. There's no question some people are turned off by the new direction.

I've seen and sat in about five of them, including verts. Mechanically, it's great, but not everyone will like the aesthetic/cosmetic choices.

It also feels a bit cramped compared to the C5.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom