Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

jute carpet padding

brumbach

Corvette
1965 convertible
Jute padding comes with a course side and smooth side. Which side goes face down? Thanks

brumbach said:
Jute padding comes with a course side and smooth side. Which side goes face down? Thanks

I just did my 65 a few months ago...I use Al Knoch stuff. His underlayment Jute came with a smooth rubber side and an exposed Jute side.

The Jute side goes to the Floor...:beer

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is jute padding? I've seen several references, but not sure exactly what it is? Thanks.

Jute? Here ya go ->

Jute is a long, soft, shiny vegetable fibre that can be spun into coarse, strong threads. It is produced from plants in the genus Corchorus, family Malvaceae.
Jute is one of the cheapest natural fibres, and is second only to cotton in amount produced and variety of uses. Jute fibres are composed primarily of the plant materials, cellulose (major component of plant fibre) and lignin (major components wood fibre). It is thus a ligno-cellulosic fibre that is partially a textile fibre and partially wood. It falls into the bast fibre category (fibre collected from bast or skin of the plant) along with Kenaf, Industrial Hemp, Flax (Linen), Ramie, etc. The industrial term for Jute fibre is Raw Jute.

Jute plants (Corchorus olitorius and Corchorus capsularis)

Jute fibre is often called hessian, jute fabrics are also called hessian cloth, and jute sacks are called gunny bags in some European countries. The fabric made from jute is popularly known as burlap in North America.
After the procurement of jute fibre through the Retting Process, jute is graded (rated) according to its colour, strength, and fibre length. The fibres are off-white to brown, and 1-4 meters (3-12 feet) long. Jute is pressed into bales for shipment to manufacturers. From there, a typical processing sequence may include cutting, carding, drawing, spinning, reeling, plying, and twisting.

Here we go Mr. Wizard, into the organic chemistry of lignins and cellulose. You know, I actually thought it WAS hemp. Hemp is clearly different but related. Won't go there.

The original padding was rubberized hair and jute. Like you guys said, rubber on one side and a thin layer of woven jute on the other side. What was and maybe still is in the middle is horsehair. Nasty stuff. PT :D

horsehair....amazing

perhaps a little asbestos rolled in there or Agent Orange to keep the jute from growing again

PTighe said:
The original padding was rubberized hair and jute. Like you guys said, rubber on one side and a thin layer of woven jute on the other side. What was and maybe still is in the middle is horsehair. Nasty stuff. PT :D

10-4 on that PT.. That there Horse Hair is some nastsy stuff...Don't smoke to well either...:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom