Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

K&N Air Filters

B

Ballast

What is everyone's opinion on the K&N air filters for the Corvette? I have a 1992 Vette and was considering installing one but do not want to do anything which will negatively affect the life of my engine just to gain a few more horsepower.

Install one. There are plenty of systems out there. You can purchase the flat, rectangular K&N filter for your stock box, preferably with an open-air lid, or there's : 1) the Vortex Ram Air Induction System; 2) Mid-America offers an underhood triple cold air induction pkg. sporting 3 conical K&N filters; 3) there're systems offered by Blackwing, etc.

Make sure you buy the cleaning kit too. The filters are expensive, but if you take care of it, you'll never buy another filter again. I suggest buying two-that way when cleaning one you can pop in the other (that is if you don't go for the triple intake job.) Happy vrooming!

Adding air to an intake system will never hurt any engine. It's reducing that will kill it. I have a laptop with diagnostic software and did a before and after on the K&N filter. It did nothing but improve the entire engine performance. It will actually run cooler, less plug fouling, less emmissions, eaiser on the rpm @ idel and on and on and on. And of course, more hores power. What more could you ask for, for the price.

Magmotor,

Got a question for you. How do you hook up a Portable Comp. to the car. I have been planning to do that to monitor the engine stats but I never really figured out how. Also, What kind of software is it. Let me know.

Thanks,

Big Kay

Kay,
Here's the link to the software. I've got a laptop and it is connected into the ALDL by the serial port w/cable. I've got both the GM OBDI & OBDII which allows me to look at 1984-2003 vettes. I take a look at mine almost twice a week, mainly cause its fun..;)

http://www.obd2.com/

I also have a K&N and as long as you are careful not to put a "wet" filter back in, or one that you have overdone it with the oil spray (oversaturated it after cleaning and recharging) it should be fine. Just follow the directions on the cleaning kit.

Oh yeah, if you over-oil it, it'll mess with the sensors. I can't remember if '92 had MAF or MAP, but i know it screwed my MAF up on my '87 until the MAF burned itself clean. :eyerole

I ordered my 89 Coupe brand new, wayyy back in Oct88. One of the 1st things I ordered from Ecklers was the K&N Filter.

Never had a problem. Power change was noticeable. I also change oil religously and use Mobil 1 Synthetic. I now have 138k miles and still running strong.

:Steer :Steer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom