Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

K&N Extreme - Anyone Got It?

Corvette
71 Conv. (Sold) / 98 Pewter Coupe (Sold)
As you may have read in my thread in the Off Road Lounge, I just ordered a bunch of new toys for the Vette. The one thing I didn't order but will get (or order) this weekend is the open element air cleaner. This leads me to another question, has anyone tried the K&N Extreme top cover filter. They look like they would give an incredible increase in airflow by opening up the top of the air cleaner. If you're using one, have you noticed a difference?

One bad thing is that the $$$$ is thinning out so the open element cleaner may be the last thing and the K&N may be later since it's $80.

Hi Erik,
K&N makes quality filters and cannister adaptors, for C3's.
I put the extreme flow on. It Works excellent, I know for certain air flow in is optimal now, whether my "330 hp SBmotor" needed it or not. I had to install it with a .75 dropbase , so the hood will close over it, and a banjo fitting and rubberline to replace the steel inlet, which interfered also! The manual choke side fit ok under the dropbase.
Good luck..
TC

Eric,

The K&N extream has always been on my list of like to haves. The $$$ is what has kept it off so far. I already have a open filter set up on top of an Edelbrock 750 on a mildly enhanced L81 making somewhere between 260-280 hp. I'm not sure if I would gain anything, except a lighter wallet, by putting one on. Anyway, the black Extream is $54.95 in Summit Racing catalog or $64.95 for blue, polished, or red. www.summitracing.com for the online catalog. All the prices I gave you are for the 14" model, 11" and 9" are less $$$ BTW Jegs was about the same price.

clearance

i don't know that there is enough clearance to the hood to make that worth it...i guess it would help with any clearance there is, but i don't know about bang for the buck...
good idea though

Got It.....Love It

I bought my lid even before I changed the intake which required my putting the L88 hood scoop on. What I'm saying is, yes, it does make a difference, because I was able to run it with the K&N element before and after the intake change. I'm now, with the new hood using a flat base, not a drop base with a 3X14 inch K&N and the extreme lid. When I open the secondary's it makes a sound all of it's own. :cool I pulled my receipt form Summit and it was $54.99 for the red one back in april of 2001. I have a nice selection of base's, elements and lids now, but I would not change what I have except to go with a 4 inch element and I'm about a half inch shy height wise. I could use a 4 inch if I went back to the drop base but it sort of defeats the purpose, the flat base being the most desirable for performance, so my guru tells me, and he hasn't steered me wrong so far.:) If you look closely at the picture on the right in my signiture, you'll see the L88 rising up in front of the windsheild.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I think it's now officially on my list of someday's and maybe's and when-I-can-afford-it's:D.

- Eric

3-4 hp

Eric,

When I was having my '81 run on a Dyno, we put a K&N Extreme lid on mine and the next run was 3-4 hp more. I suspect it is worth the extra $$$.

............ Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom