Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

keeping it cool on the inside

K

Kelly454

Well my new carpet should be in tomorrow, I was going to buy it form Mid America but they would not give me a deal. So I called a few other places, and finally ended with Al Knoch . They gave me a real good deal. Just hope the carpet is good.
I came across a old story in the NCRS drive line winter 2009. The title is keeping it cool. They test all kinds of heat barriers. The one that came out on top was HushMat, but the second place and was real close was a product called energy Q radiant barrier it was like with in one or two points of the HushMat. He does not get into price on each one. Just how they performed in the description of the Q radiant barrier it says that a double layer of polyethylene air bubble pack between foil layer, sounds a whole lot what you guys all recommend refleticx. And we all know how much that cost, and some of the high dollar stuff performed real bad, I mean they had like only a 7% reduction in heat in the cabin where the radiant barrier had like a 40% while the HushMat had a 43%. So for the few points I cant see justification for paying more for the HushMat. And Kool Mat, well that was the worst one of the bunch, followed by the corvette central ceramic heat barrier kit.:)

That's what I used. Get the 3M spray on adhesive, a roll of Reflectix and the metal tape and you will be good to go. Very easy to install.

Front_Carpet_Reflectix.jpg

Probably the best you can buy.

Go with the Reflectix. Lots of folks use it and it's easy to find (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc).

:)
Reflectix is what I used. It's cheap but works extremely well. Since it's air filled plastic bubbles with a foil layer on both sides it really keeps the heat down. The interior definitely stays cooler around the exhaust pipe run and the transmission tunnel. I highly recommend it. Look at your local home improvement center in the insulation department.
A hint. Cover everything you can with the stuff. I did the entire floorboard, trans tunnel (except where I couldnt line it) and behind the seats. I also put down the rubberized underlayment (spray can stuff) as extra sound deadening and protection.
The reflectix goes down very easily with a little bit of spray glue and conforms to the curves very well. Here's the result from when I redid my interior:
006.jpg

If you need any more info, refer to my interior replacement thread

I just my carpet in, so far looks good for color match ect. I got it with the jute backing on it. But I was wondering if some parts of the floor board if could double the Refletcix in some spots. The carpet is not all that thick, an I have that big old 454 making some heat. I think that I could do it what you guys think? Any one put two layers in the foot wells on their car?:mad

I just my carpet in, so far looks good for color match ect. I got it with the jute backing on it. But I was wondering if some parts of the floor board if could double the Refletcix in some spots. The carpet is not all that thick, an I have that big old 454 making some heat. I think that I could do it what you guys think? Any one put two layers in the foot wells on their car?:mad
I didn't. I don't know if you'd want to as your seats may not get tightened down as good. I also dont think there would be much benefit to it. is the jute backing the stuff that looks like shredded fabric pressed together? If so, that's all you'll need between the carpet and the reflectix.
If your worred about the heat from the engine, put the reflectix as far up the firewall as you can possibly go and around the trans tunnel. that will make a difference

Yeah this jute looks like that. I changed this carpet out about 25 years ago, an the set I got was like a cheap set. If memory serves me it was from corvette America, I am almost sure that it didn’t have the jute on it when I put it in. will know for sure when I pull it. I am not say their stuff was cheap , just you know how they sell you just the carpet and them if you want jute. I mean that is what Al Knoch did they have with jute and with out, and you ask for it.
I see that your over in Houston, do you guys do any cruise nights over there? We will have to get together sometime, we have a lot of cruise nights here where I live. Guys come out on the first and third Saturday of each month here and all hang out at a local bugger joint parking lot. Some nights as many as 80 cars, not all corvettes you name they cruise. I am like 80 miles from Houston, give or take a few:beer

additional measures

I agree with the reflectix, I put it in my 'Vette too. You may also want to consider installing some reflectix on the underside of the trans. tunnel as well as installing the "horse collar" foam seal at the bellhousing area of the trans. tunnel. Then there is header wrap (controversial but I use it) and sealing off holes in the firewall as well as installing a foam rubber seal at the back of the hood/engine compartment to keep hot air from the engine compartment from going into the fresh air ducts by the wiper arms.
It ain't easy but if you are persistent you will make progress.:thumb

Yeah I got quite the project for this winter. I have got a kit of foam from Dr rebuild on all the under side stuff, had the horse collar and other small wedges of foam to seal the car.

How you like that 79? I use to have one, L-82 with a auto trans, I loved that car. I don’t recall it being so hot inside like this car, but hey that was over 25 years ago when I had mine. But that little L-82 was a good motor in that car.:D

There's very little that is original in my '79. It has a 383 stroker with a TKO II 5 speed transmission. I love driving the car, it is fast and after 5 years of upgrades it is finally getting to be "where I want it". Next is a nice clean paint job. But it still gets hot inside!

I bought a bunch of good stuff from the Doc too - just don't be afraid to go to home depot or any other hardware store for black "closed cell" foam rubber insulation to help with your heat and air flow problems - I had to get creative with mine - I have an aftermarket hi-rise hood. I also used some closed cell pipe insulation on some of the more challenging areas.

Yeah this jute looks like that. I changed this carpet out about 25 years ago, an the set I got was like a cheap set. If memory serves me it was from corvette America, I am almost sure that it didn’t have the jute on it when I put it in. will know for sure when I pull it. I am not say their stuff was cheap , just you know how they sell you just the carpet and them if you want jute. I mean that is what Al Knoch did they have with jute and with out, and you ask for it.
I see that your over in Houston, do you guys do any cruise nights over there? We will have to get together sometime, we have a lot of cruise nights here where I live. Guys come out on the first and third Saturday of each month here and all hang out at a local bugger joint parking lot. Some nights as many as 80 cars, not all corvettes you name they cruise. I am like 80 miles from Houston, give or take a few:beer
CA now sells pretty good carpet from Auto Custom Carpet with the jute attached. I looked at the Al Knoch stuff but withe everything that I was doing, the Willcox deal was the best (uses the ACC carpeting too)

Yeah, I'm in the Houston area. I live in Kingwood/Porter which is north of Houston off of US 59. There are quite a few cruise ins in the area on Saturday night (2 smaller ones within 10 miles) and a huge one called Nifty 50's in Spring that usually has 300+ cars at it. With the baby it's hard to get away now but I'm sure I can get the mother in law to baby sit some Saturday evening. :) :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom