Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

key stuck in ignition on '76

CHEV66JB

Corvette
'59 Corvette #5366
Hi all,

I am asking a question for my father here- One day he went out in the garage, put the key in his '76, and started it up to let it run for a while. He shut it off, went to take the key out, and.... hmm.... the key is stuck in the ignition.

I was hoping to get it out for him using some WD-40, but she's really jammed in there. I can't even turn the ignition back to accessory or anything. Can anyone suggest any way to remove the key and or the ignition cylinder to get the key out? I'd also thought there'd be a pin hole in the ignition like in the earlier Chevy's to get the whole cylinder out, but no such luck.

Thanks,

CHEV66JB
'66 Chevelle Malibu
'59 Corvette

You probably already know this....but just in case.... on a manual tranny you need to be in reverse to remove the key. An auto needs to be in park. If the key still wont remove....hope Im remembering right.....there is an interlock cable running from the tranny to a lever just below the power brake booster. If this lever is not pushed fully up by the cable the key wont release. The linkage may be a little out of adjustment or the cable may be binding somewhere. I've never had to do it, but have heard that you can reach down under the booster and pull the lever up a little and that will usually release the key.
Hope I'm not leading you on a wild goose chase.

Re:

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try- If anyone else knows anything about this, please chime in! I'd hate to have the key break off.

CHEV66JB

If it's like the '77's the release for the cylinder is inside the column. If you have the lock plate removal tool and wheel puller it's not to hard to take the column down far enough to get the cylinder out.

TC

Re:

Hmm- Wasn't aware there was a special tool for the process. I'll have to do further research I guess.

Thanks!

CHEV66JB

There are some documents on corvettefaq.com that I used to help me disasemble the column in my car to fix a few things. You should be able to find the document for your column and read through the process to get an idea of any special tools you might need.

TC

I'm sure you have checked this but if not, Is the key lock in the off or lock postion if it just in the off postion something is not letting it return to the lock postion, sometimes if you wiggle the wheel back and forth while trying to turn the key it will release it . something might be binding the rod down to the switch on the column (they have a rod that goes to the actual switch mounted on the coumn)

Re:

Yep, actually had that problem with a car I owned in the past- Tried it and that key still hung on. Thank you for suggesting though, it's amazing how we always manage to overlook the simple things! 8^]

CHEV66JB

Re:

Well gang,

Rip was right on this one- I finally got an opportunity this past weekend to try getting the key out of my dad's '76, and it resulted in success! There was in fact a lever under the brake booster (as Rip had mentioned), and upon lifting it I was able to successfully remove the key from the ignition. That's definitely a good one to know, because as others had suggested, I was about ready to tear the steering column apart to get the cylinder out.. Thanks to Rip and all who contributed!

Jim (CHEV66JB)

Well gang,

Rip was right on this one- I finally got an opportunity this past weekend to try getting the key out of my dad's '76, and it resulted in success! There was in fact a lever under the brake booster (as Rip had mentioned), and upon lifting it I was able to successfully remove the key from the ignition. That's definitely a good one to know, because as others had suggested, I was about ready to tear the steering column apart to get the cylinder out.. Thanks to Rip and all who contributed!

Jim (CHEV66JB)

I have the same problem with my 76 vette but can't find the lever mentioned. Can anyone assist with a picture? Thanks!

Nevermind about the picture. I finally figured it out. I only wish I would've found this posting before removing everything in the steering column first. Thanks Rip and Jim!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom