Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Killer back on the drawing board

I had received a quote from them for a complete kit. (Fully convert an automatic to a 5-speed manual) They gave me a price around $5,500 and it is a complete bolt on kit.

For an additional $800, you can get a 6-speed, but you would need to do some custom cutting and fabricating on the crossmember. (If I understood them correctly)

I talked to him on the phone and he is very friendly and helpful.

-Vic

I talked to them today and obtained a quote.

I learned much.

I can reuse my bellhousing, clutch, and most of my hydraulics.

Their five speed trans does not require cutting the x member. Another cool thing, is I can order it with a hal effect speedo sensor and hook it right into my Autometer Pro Comp speedo.

The negative is that in order to get the really good overdrive, I have to use the 475 hp version. The truth is, that would be fine for my car as I am not racing it, and I know better than to shower down on the throttle in high gear.

Quatermaster said they would work with me to exchange my new never installed 10 spline disc for a 26, and they feel that I can reuse the quatermater hydraulic release bearing. If not, $300 more from Keisler.

All in all, it does not have the sex appeal of a six speed, but gets the job done in five. It sounds like it would be a little better quality than the Richmond, and no shifter linkage to adjust, or cross member modifications.

Now....let's see if I can sell some of the stuff around my house to generate some cash.

* 90 Vette
* 95 3500 Silverado
* 89 Escaper RV.

AussieWithNoVette said:
I know that this is a little off topic,

but could you update your webbie with as many pics of your 69 as possible? I LOVE KILLER!

Working on it!

I have the next series of rebuild photos with the engine work and interior work to load. Then, just finished photos.

I am concerned I am making the one page too full of images, so I will split that up I guess. Web work like that takes HOURS for somebody like me.

If I had Rain's talent and software, I could really put on a online show.

Interesting twist

I just happened upon this transmission.

It is a Tremec TR3550 model # 2600682.

It came out of a mustang and the shifter is not in the best location. It appears however that the chevy bellhousing will bolt up with some minor mods.

I sent a note to Tremec to inquire about retro parts to make this fit a chevy bellhousing.

If it is a fit, my cost went wayyyyy down, and the time schedule to do the conversion went wayyyyyy up.

I realize this is not the heavy duty trans, but I would assume it to be no less robust than the muncie it would be replacing.

Another

Did I mention the price would be wayyyyy sweet if I could make this work?

According to the specs, this one has the ultra reduced overdrive (30% reduction)

try http://www.fortesparts.com/ for info and yoke to bolt up to Corvette driveshaft the TKO is a little stronger and they told me a 3550 would handle anything a small block throw at it, but they specialize in fords so what do they know about torque

Chris - yes, she'll definetly get up and go. I've had the car for less than two months and I'm in the middle of getting transferred, moving and buying a house (never done that before)so I haven't had time to get to know the car. I'll crunch the numbers when I get a chance but I'm guessing the rear end is somewhere in the 4's. Everything on the car looks stock except the A/C compressor and tires but I haven't found out what ratio's were available in 78. When I finally get down to SC (where the car is already) I'm going to look for that mythical tank sticker.

I'm still trying to answer the question that plagues all first time Vette owners - leave it stock or do what I want. A big factor in that decision for me is that being a 78 Pace, it might be better to leave it alone and enjoy it as GM intended. I thought I had convinced myself to do that until Groovyjay had to go and mention a 5 speed tranny that doesn't make me cut the frame up.

Groovyjay, I'm going to hold you responsible when I file for bankruptcy and can't make my mortgage payments! Seriously though, thanks for the web site - I've got some thinking to do (and some homework).

Culprit

bossvette said:
try http://www.fortesparts.com/ for info and yoke to bolt up to Corvette driveshaft the TKO is a little stronger and they told me a 3550 would handle anything a small block throw at it, but they specialize in fords so what do they know about torque

So you have a 3550 in your car?

Did it come from a mustang?

What clutch, etc. are you running?

Culprit- It seems to me you have a big decision. I don't think they are going to sell gas forever, and no matter how clean and stock the car is, you can't enjoy it if you can't gas it. So, my philosophy is to install mods on the car that make it a better car with benefit to performance and economy, and what makes you happy.

I am running a TKO behind a centerforce dual disk in a lakewood scatter shield the engine is a 383 with a modified TPI Isky Hyd roller Brodix street heads 58 mm Holley throttle body 30 lb injectors the slp runners have been opened up and siamesed so they are 1.5 shorter baseplate ported and matched to the heads
it pulls strong to 5500 and is still going good at 6000 where the Holley Commander 950 tells it to slow down

Thanks for the input Chris. When I get settled in SC we'll see what happens.

Culprit

69MyWay said:
Stallion,

I am running right at 468 cubes, and with no overdrive it spins at 3,000 rpm around 70 mph. EFI, or no EFI, you just can't generate good MPG out of that combo, unless I drop the cruise RPM with an overdrive.

I see. I didn't know you still had the 4 on the floor. :)

some pictures of the underside of a TKO install the car was origionally from detroit and is a unrestored daily driver in NW Ohio with over 90,000 miles on it and is not as pretty as most on this site
pictures of TKO install
35s.jpg

39s.jpg

41s.jpg

38s.jpg

the install is not hard just rework the trans mount, trans tunnel, and shorten driveshaft

What I found most interesting from the Keisler site was the pictures of the shifter location. Even on the '66 console the shifter was in the correct position. Of course I'm thinking that if it is in the right spot for a '66 it will also be in my '59. Same for the crossmember situation. The old close ratio iron T-10 is cool but like Chris, I may want to spend some time in the left lane when I finally get this thing back on the road.

Craig Sr.,

I'd like to see your car somtime. Looks like a strong runner. Cliff and I have been trying to arrange a lunch meeting with DAD for some time.

Tom

Tom
we are practially neighbors we could meet at one of the local cruise ins I have only been to Defiance so far this year. Lunch would be OK as I work 3rd shift

Bossvette!

Looks great! Excellent pictures. I am so glad to hear you drive that car. That is what they are made for, and that overdrive and EFI makes it so sweeeeet.

Would you mind snapping a pic of your console? The trans you are running does not have the offset shifter like Keisler offers. That would require some custom console work, and I can see from that one shot above that you cut a hole more center from the stock one for the shifter in the floor.

Our consoles are made different from 69 to your year model, but it might help give me some ideas. The only draw back to converting the TKO I have out in my garage now is the location of the shifter, vs. going for the big bucks and getting the fully converted Keisler model.

47.jpg

this is an old pic with homemade shifter have since gone to a ripper if you want I can post it tomorrow. I used the origional shift plate as a pattern and made an sheetmetal plate covered with laminate from a guy on e-bay did the door and center console to match, holding up pretty well so far.

another pic
49.jpg

I think the TKO and 3550 are dimentionally the same you could run the 3550 till it broke and then upgrade

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom