Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Killer in the 1/4 mile

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I finally took Killer to the strip. Went down last night to the Gainesville Speedway. Perfect weather. I ran five passes, but could have run a dozen or more if I wanted.

This is my first time back to a track in two years. I ran the car in full street gear, pump gas, 32 psi in the tires, and the same program on the EFI system that I run on the street. I launched the car very easy. I basically let the clutch engage around 1,000 RPM, rolled forward, then nailed it.

Best time of the night:

Dial --------
R/T .579
60' 2.000
330 5.419
1/8 8.259
MPH 86.27
1000 10.694
1/4 12.774
MPH 108.43

If I could have dropped that 60' down by heating up the tires and making a hard launch to about 1.8 or 1.7, that would have gone across the board to as low as a 12.4. However, I saw no point in continuing to run the car. I am happy with the results and am confident of the real world, real street performance of the car. At the same time, I just can't help but imagine what DOT slicks, race fuel, computer tweaking, and a hard launch might have accomplished................

Chris, I gotta say, I admire you taking your car to the track like that. Not many people would build a car as nice as yours and drive it all over the country and then go drag racing with it too. I don't believe mine will be doing and drag racing but there is no way it is going to stay parked either. At least nothing broke and the clutch held up. With the new clutch maybe you can run it harder next time.

Nice run! Maybe you could run against my Z06. It would be fun. :D If you can get a 1.7 on street tires, I would want to learn how. The best I have done with drag radials is 1.8, with 1.9's more common. :BOW

DRTH VTR said:
Nice run! Maybe you could run against my Z06. It would be fun. :D If you can get a 1.7 on street tires, I would want to learn how. The best I have done with drag radials is 1.8, with 1.9's more common. :BOW
They are 335 30 18 with a total of 26 inch on the ground. I was able to run 1.8 in my 85 Vette with BFG on the 16" rims. It is not impossible, just very tricky!

My buddy runs a 1971 Camaro on 8" rims. He cuts 1.7 60' all the time. His precision driving skills and many practice runs have paid off. He is able to dip his small block camaro in the 12.6 range on a regular basis.

I however don't intend to get that much practice!

-E Z does it!....

:beer Chris, being that "discretion is the better part of valor" i greatly admire your starting-line technique; -and as a matter of fact have always felt that for street-car competition, they should indeed have requirement that any laying of rubber would thereby render that car disqualified! Anyone can simply pop-the-clutch, but it takes substantially more driver-skill (and intelligence) to depart with such thoughtful discretion, -then once under way pour on the coals as it were right up to your determined red-line. We would see a lot more participation in off-the-line competition, as many of us just care to much for our drive than to so adolescently punish-it at the get-go... ~Bob vH :bu :eek :nono

69MyWay said:
... first time back to a track in two years.
Since we last went together? Been kinda busy, eh Chris? :L

Congratulations on finally being able to wring it out! Betcha enjoyed that! :bu

Hi Nikki! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom