Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Knock Sensor retarding timing, but no code.

Jeremy Forsythe

Corvette
1984 Corvette black
84, nothing aftermarket but ann 85 fuel pump, air pump delete.
When I first bought the car a month or so ago, I had a tough time with a dirty fuel system, I've basically replaced everything but the lines and the tank so far. It will run great when first started. No problems, but eventually it gets warmed up and 1) doesn't want to idle, gets down to 700 and starts surging until it dies, causing you to have to two foot it at red lights, and 2) the knock sensor starts retarding the timing at lower and lower rpms the longer you drive, until it gets to the point where anything over 2500 rpm and it bogs out. When you first crank it in the morning when it's cold, it idles like 1500 1700 rpm and runs great. When the knock sensor starts kicking in, it is idling around 700. Not sure if the two are related. I can shut the car off and sit for 2 minutes, crank it up and it runs good again for a little while, but eventually the knock sensor starts again.
I've only ever had the one 43 code... but now, even with these problem, I have no code at all.
I do not have the regulator fitting to check fuel pressure, I ordered a rail with a gauge in it for the throttle bodies, hasn't arrived yet and I'm scared to drill holes in the regulator.
Is this a symptom of losing fuel pressure? Is that the regulators?
I know I don't have enough fuel pressure info, but was hoping someone may have experienced similar problems.

It's a pretty unique feel when the knock sensor kicks in.
So what if you have a engine problem that is causing knock when warm and the KS is doing it's job correctly ?

There is no error code for the KS being activated ; only if it is not working or the circuit faulty

That could be the case, but then simply stopping, turning the key off, turning it back on repriming the fuel pump solves it temporarily. It would have to mean I'm dropping pressure, right?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom