Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Krylon 1613 semi-flat black discontinued

alps66

Corvette
1966 milano maroon 427/390
As we continue making progress (albeit slow) in making the Phoenix whole again, I've been having increasing difficulty locating Krylon 1613 semi-flat black paint (an often used blackout paint) and discovered that it is no longer listed on the Krylon website. I e-mailed Krylon this morning and received the following response:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The 1613 has been discontinued, reformulated and renumbered with 51613. The 1613 is no longer being manufactured or distributed."

I tried the 51613 and it's too glossy for my taste. It could have something to do with the new fan spray nozzle which applies the paint very liberally and broadly. Soooo, if you've used 1613 in the past and think that some touchup work might be in your future, you may want to check your favorite supplier for the last of their current stock of 1613. Krylon's Rust Tough Enamel (RTA 9203) may be a suitable alternative, but I haven't tested it yet (and probably won't need to as I depleted the 1613 stock of several local Sherwin Williams' stores this morning
biggrin.gif
)

Cheers!
Jeff
http://www.ncrs.org/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=349491

Jane Ann,
Who knows how that happened... Thanks for tidying up behind me.

can you swap out the nozzles for a quick test ?
Freddie,
I just went out to the garage to see, and wouldn't you know they changed the design of that as well. The old and new nozzles do not appear to be interchangeable.

you may already know this but you can't put krylon on top of rustoleum and vice versa because they use incompatible chemistries...the new topcoat WILL lift, it just depends on how long it takes

I've been having increasing difficulty locating Krylon 1613 semi-flat black paint (an often used blackout paint) and discovered that it is no longer listed on the Krylon website.

Try:

John Deere Blitz Black #PT107 for blackout; I think BB comes in other
glosses as well. (John Deere stores)

Eastwood "Underhood Black" (Eastwood Co)

SEM "Trim Black" #39143 (local auto supply stores)

These references are a few years old, though, so it's possible they've gone the way of the Krylon 1613.

Krylon #1613 Semi-Flat has NOT been discontinued - it's been moved from their retail line to their industrial products line. :)

I've been using "satin" and now it's no longer being made available to the public.
What give with these paint companies, anyway?

John Deere Blitz Black comes in spray cans or qts and gallons. I think the gloss level is just right for frame and chassis.

Tom

Krylon #1613 Semi-Flat has NOT been discontinued - it's been moved from their retail line to their industrial products line. :)

As stated above 1613 is available at Sherwin Williams paint stores.
My local store did not stock it but they did order a box, six cans.

It is a different formula and does not look the same.
Looks more like satin.

Not good for a correct look.

Verle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom