Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

kumho run flats?

65-to-00

:eek:hnoes Kinda' late to ask because I ordered them already. I was about to just have the rear tires replaced and at the last moment realized that for the same price, I could do all four corners and the front would have to have been done sometime over the summer anyway.

The Tire Rack reviews were pretty good with one exception from a fellow who claimed he wore them out at the 11,000 mile mark.

The car is essentially a "garage queen" for many reasons so that I'll probably sell it (hopefully for a 65 someday), or the tires will dry rot before they hit the 30K mark.

Why is it a "garage queen"? Before I get whopped too badly here:

1. Wife constantly blocks the garage doors with her old Saab and does not leave spare keys. Her hoarding of keys is a constant battle that I can't win.

2. Stupid cats who now live in the garage, so the car has to stay covered. They were feral strays who got booted out for peeing in the house. Wife informed me today that one took a whizz on the Vette this morning.

3. Nasty neighbor with a BB gun .... each neighborhood has at least one of these and I drew the short straw on neighbors.

:eek:hnoes Kinda' late to ask because I ordered them already. I was about to just have the rear tires replaced and at the last moment realized that for the same price, I could do all four corners and the front would have to have been done sometime over the summer anyway.

The Tire Rack reviews were pretty good with one exception from a fellow who claimed he wore them out at the 11,000 mile mark.

The car is essentially a "garage queen" for many reasons so that I'll probably sell it (hopefully for a 65 someday), or the tires will dry rot before they hit the 30K mark.

Why is it a "garage queen"? Before I get whopped too badly here:

1. Wife constantly blocks the garage doors with her old Saab and does not leave spare keys. Her hoarding of keys is a constant battle that I can't win.

2. Stupid cats who now live in the garage, so the car has to stay covered. They were feral strays who got booted out for peeing in the house. Wife informed me today that one took a whizz on the Vette this morning.

3. Nasty neighbor with a BB gun .... each neighborhood has at least one of these and I drew the short straw on neighbors.

Damn,Do we have have the same wife and neighbors???:boogie :boogie

I LOVE my Kumho's!!!!!! Although I don't have the run flats(ASX's),I'm going to try them when I ware these out!!!!(( they weren't out yet when I bought mine!!))
I have 24,000 miles on mine and will easily get 45,000!!! There Smooth, Quiet,Don't Hydro-Plain,and Grip Great on Dry,Wet, and Snowy Pavement!!!!:upthumbs

A scene a played out in our kitchen last year. ;squint:

Stop! Real sloooooowly now, empty the contents of the purse on the table. Good, now step back and keep your hands where I can see them!

Volvo keys ... 3 counts

Truck keys .. 3 counts

Saab keys .. 2 counts!

You have the right to remain silent ..... but what the hell are you doing with all of these keys?

Perp ... er ... Wife ... "I feel better if I have a set of keys!

The only keys she didn't have were the Vette keys and the Vette was blocked by the Saab. Four cars out there and I'm stuck at home?

:bash or ;LOL ?

I have the kuhmo asx on my 94'. I lovem. Great traction, quiet, alot nicer ride then the GSC's. I was skeptical and have always put originals back on when I could but these are real nice. I do notice that if they sit for a couple weeks it takes a few blocks to smooth out. I dont know if anyone else has noticed that or not. Not bad though. The grip is what amazes me, I need more hp now. I also noticed the sidewalls arent as stiff as the GSC's but they're all season, you wouldnt have that with the runflats.

Sounds like you need to get your own purse with your own "set of keys".

I agree with what everybody has said about the Kuhmo ASX's.
They are great tires for the price. They do flat spot after a few days, but work out quickly. The grip is fantastic on all road conditions, although I doubt I will get 20,000 miles on the back set. Fronts probably will get 40,000, but not the backs for some reason relating to my lead foot.:L

"Fronts probably will get 40,000, but not the backs for some reason relating to my lead foot.:L"

Got to love a good burn out. When you can get out of the garage of course.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and may have a nice long ride to Maine next weekend.

Flat spots don't bother me and my truck does that for the first block or two.

But finding a purse to match my work boots is rough! I may be a little deaf, but color clash is a no-no and even I have my limits!

:)

From what I have read, the Kumho's seem to be a fairly good tire for the dollar. But they come up short in the run-flat capability falling far short of the standards that GM set for the Vette's run-flats.

Why bother getting new tire's? Dude you need a new set of Nut's, Your wife blocks your car in,you have to keep it covered because of cat's ****ing on it and you have a a**hole neighbor that shoot's at you. I know what I would do to fix those three problem's real fast but I'll stop right here because I don't want to put it in print! :rotfl :bash

From what I have read, the Kumho's seem to be a fairly good tire for the dollar. But they come up short in the run-flat capability falling far short of the standards that GM set for the Vette's run-flats.

but which set of GM "stadards" are you measuing from ?

For the C5, the EMT's had to go for 200 miles with ZeroAirPressure. There were so many complaints about the hard/noisy ride, that for the C6... GM decided that only 100 miles of ZAP driving was needed.

So the new "standard" is 100 miles less use than the old standard.

So the new "standard" is 100 miles less use than the old standard.
Also in the GM standard is the capability to go 50 miles and still be repairable. Most other run flats are capable of going up to 50 miles but are not repairable.

Sounds like you need to get your own purse with your own "set of keys".

I couldn't agree more!! :) Since it's obvious you can't win the battle of your wife holding all keys for all cars all of the time, you definitely need to have your own keys made for all vehicles and keep them where only you know their whereabouts!! End of story!;LOL

Elaine

Ever try hiding money from a Democrat? Same thing! ;squint:

But hey! Look at what I get away with. Two cars and a truck, two dirt bikes, six pairs of skis .. lots of other goodies.

The old line worked like a charm a few years back when I passed he 55 mark ... :)

"Honey, I don't know what's wrong, lately I get these funny feelings; these urges that come out of no where .... " ;shrug

"What kind of urges dear?"

"Like it's wierd, the urge to do something wild, really wild ... like have a flaming hot affair or, or, get a sports car or something" :W

Or ... new skis ... ;)

Or .. a bike .. ;)

This summer I am going to get the "urge" for a 50's Harley Hummer, one of their early lightweight cycles.

:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom