Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L-88 hood for 77

C

crebo

I have a 77 vette.

It will be out of the shop soon. Just replaced the 350 with a 396. Having hood clearance problems.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what hood will give me plenty room. I like the L-88 and the LT Hi-Rise in the Ecklers catalog. The hoods in Ecklers advertise 4 1/8-5/8 clearance. I found this other page that is advertising the same L-88 2 1/8 over stock. I assume their measuring from differ points.

Bottom Line Up Front just wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

Any info will be appreciated

Thanx Chris

I have a long version (covers wipers) of a L88 hood. It offers enough clearance for L98 TPI or even RAMJET 502 engines.

I purchased mine from Eckler's. However, Vancor's offers high rise OEM-style 77-79 and 80-82 hoods. They even offer LT-1 hoods, but they don't offer any extra clearance- which is what you want.

The L88 looks really mean- but its all about the effect you want. I went for the L88 hood, 82 tail, and 69 exhaust. Its not for everyone though. I hear "gaudy", "over-styled", and "hey-isn't-that-a-hotwheels?" from time to time.

DarkShark78 said:
... .. ...The L88 looks really mean- but its all about the effect you want. I went for the L88 hood, 82 tail, and 69 exhaust. Its not for everyone though. I hear "gaudy", "over-styled", and "hey-isn't-that-a-hotwheels?" from time to time.
2995_photo.jpg

Looks pretty AWESOME to me! Nice combination ;)

BudD
:bu

Thanks for all your help Hijinx and DarkShark78. The pictures are a great help.
The white one def. gives me a good idea what it will look like.
Once I get mare vett back I'll put some pic's online.
Thanks again

I have one on our '72 Camaro and I love the styling.

Hijinx: Those pics are woth 2000 words, I've always wondered what it would look like on a 73 Vette - Thank you for posting them.
What color are you going to paint it?
Are you going to match the hood to the car or do the whole thing?

STW!

Linwood

I am planning on painting it white, but will have a dark blue stripe (to match the interior) coming out of the front vent as wide as the top of the cowl. I'll continue that over on the back deck and rear valance just between the rear bumpers. It will have a blue pinstripe on each side of the main stripe.

crebo,

I'll add my 2cents and say go for the L-88 hood, I'm running a 383 with Performer RPM, Holley 750 and 3 inch air cleaner with no clearance problems. And the hood just looks so good!

How's good old Ft. Irwin? I was there in 84-85? as an evaluator for about 4 1/2 months, had a pretty decent time other than being 40 miles from civilization. Is the Crazy Turtle (I think that's it) still in Barstow :D Boy could I tell some stories about staying in that Holiday Inn too :L

Scott
Ft. Ord 80-86 (planet Ord)

Johnny,

DarkShark78 looks fantastic to me. It's all factory styled parts designed for a Shark so how could it be overstyled?

Tom

Scott

Thanks,
I'm pretty sure I'll go with the L-88. I had thought about a Hilborn scoop. It looks pretty cool but don't want people to think I have a supercharger or blower. I also needed someone to cut my hood and make it look nice. There is a red 78-81 somewhere on here with the hilbrorn. It looks sharp.
Plus the L-88 is really nice looking.
Hows your gas milage with the 700r4? I heard they make a very big differ.
Ft. Irwin is hot a usual. Don't know to much about Barstow. Heard alot though.
Anyway nice looking car. Let me know If you ever come back into town....
Chris

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom