Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L81 Vert

Corvette
1981 Dark Blue Metallic, 2003 AE coupe
Went to a local show on Saturday and was parked next to a red '81 vert. Now I know you're thinkin it ain't so, but this one had a door tag that stated it was built by a company called Flint Corvette and the story from the owner is that it was converted before delivery to the original owner. The history is the car was ordered in California and sent directly to Flint for the conversion. The door tag says it was done in, if I remember correctly, July of 81. The vin on the car indicates it was built around August/September of 80. I'm guessing because it was about 1500 cars before mine and I know mine was built in Oct. 80. The current owner purchased it a year ago last April in Texas. I have only seen a picture of one other and I think it was in Arizona. Anyway, if you like the lines of the 81, the vert is beautiful. To top it off, it had a 454 dropped in it a few years ago. I'll post a picture when I get it off the camera (next week). Anyone else ever seen one of these?

Mike

Hey Tritium007

Ive only seen the photo of one on L81 Vette Registry site - link above (photo 96).
Ive seen a kit (ACI or Vanacoor I think) you can buy to complete this, and I agree they look cool. :cool

Still, I do love that roofline of the later C3's too! :_rock

Decisions, decisions eh! ;LOL

Grant

I've seen 2 ~ 1981 ConVerted and 1 ~ 1980s ConVerted

I saw one 1981 at C n V in AZ when we lived there and the other 1981 at a show in Reno. The 1980 I saw at the 1985 Black Hills Corvette Classic, the 1980 was done in a CanAM style with roll bars and big block.

Beautiful cars all three ;)

Bud

BTW Bud, I did tell him about the L81 Registry and will follow up if I don't see him show up on there. I have a pretty good pic of his car for him to upload.

Mike

:upthumbs
Thanks Mike

We have a member in the local club with an 80 convertible; big block and four speed; the history on it says that it was built for a GM executive. They are very nicely put together, hard to believe not a factory job. It gets a lot of attention at the car shows and cruises.....dbj

81 Vert

BTW Bud, I did tell him about the L81 Registry and will follow up if I don't see him show up on there. I have a pretty good pic of his car for him to upload.

Mike
Mike I did register, and I am trying to post a picture of the Vette, might need some help

Noah??
There are are only 3 RED 1981's registered from S.C. on the L81 VetteRegistry I guessing here ;)

First Welcome to the Registry and to the Corvette Action Center Community. You'll find us pretty laid back bunch that enjoys the heck out of our Cars :Steer WELCOME..

I can help with photo's for the L81VetteRegistry and for here, or Mike (Tritium007) would be happy to help.

rarel81 (at) hotmail.com

Bud

Mike I did register, and I am trying to post a picture of the Vette, might need some help

Pics of 81 Vert

Went to a local show on Saturday and was parked next to a red '81 vert. Now I know you're thinkin it ain't so, but this one had a door tag that stated it was built by a company called Flint Corvette and the story from the owner is that it was converted before delivery to the original owner. The history is the car was ordered in California and sent directly to Flint for the conversion. The door tag says it was done in, if I remember correctly, July of 81. The vin on the car indicates it was built around August/September of 80. I'm guessing because it was about 1500 cars before mine and I know mine was built in Oct. 80. The current owner purchased it a year ago last April in Texas. I have only seen a picture of one other and I think it was in Arizona. Anyway, if you like the lines of the 81, the vert is beautiful. To top it off, it had a 454 dropped in it a few years ago. I'll post a picture when I get it off the camera (next week). Anyone else ever seen one of these?

Mike
Here are some more pictures of the Vette, I would hope that someone would know more about Flint Corvette

Thanks for the warm welcome

Noah??
There are are only 3 RED 1981's registered from S.C. on the L81 VetteRegistry I guessing here ;)

First Welcome to the Registry and to the Corvette Action Center Community. You'll find us pretty laid back bunch that enjoys the heck out of our Cars :Steer WELCOME..

I can help with photo's for the L81VetteRegistry and for here, or Mike (Tritium007) would be happy to help.

rarel81 (at) hotmail.com

Bud
Still working the issue of getting pictures on the web site, I have resized some and will try and get them down loaded

:w Noah,

If you want to send me some photo's I can upload them to the Registry, and size them for a CAC Signature and avatar and get them back to you ;)

I'll do some digging and see if I can find out anymore about the "Flint Corvettes" ;)

Bud

What a beauty. This is a car Chevy should have built. I wonder what my wife would do to me if she caught me working on her car with the sawsall? No, I don't think I want an answer to that.

Welcome to the CAC and The L81 Registry. We love these 81s any way you slice them. We spent the night in Columbia a few nights ago on our way home from Daytona. We stopped off at a few race shops in NC just to see if they were doing things right. I think I could get my wife to move down there if the right job came along (Joe Gibbs Racing) but doesn't everyone want to work in a race shop. I'm not so picky. I could slum it over at DEI if I had to.

Tom

attachment.php

WOW!! A 1981 Corvette Convertible!! And in the FASTEST color too!! :D

I can't wait to see photos of your beauty!!

If I may suggest, when you have time, why not stop in the New Member Introductions Forum and post a thread so more of your fellow CAC-ers can share your story and say hello.

Welcome aboard!!
:w Jane Ann

welcome to CAC!!!:CAC
very,very pretty corvette,let alone an '81!!!!!!!!!!:upthumbs:upthumbs

hope you enjoy the forums!!!!!!

This photo is from & for Noah.... until he gets up and running doing some photo's himself ;)

ENJOY :D

attachment.php

Bud

Beautiful L81, Noah!

G.M. surely missed-out on making an L81 vert available.

The last Vette registry member that I know has tried to do something close to this is Earl, he wanted his Vette with the top portion cut-off -he's trying to make his an L81 roadster.

I need to check-up on him and see what is his progress.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom