Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L82 to TPI- Throttle cable

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
For anyone who is planning a TPI swap- I have a great tip for the accelerator cable. As many of you know, I've been working on this for fits and spurts for months. This is the second foray for me into C3 swaps. I think I figured out most of the kinks and this time around I'm focusing on using what I learned the first time around.

On my 78, I modified the firewall to accept a shortened version of an Fbody cable. It was a tedious task and the results were decent but nothing I'd brag about.

I didn't want the look of Lokar cables (too much... bling) the last time or this time.

I decided to try something else. I decided to combine the elements of each in a customized cable.

As you can imagine, the carb's cable is not long enough nor configured right at the far end for the TPI.

Fbody throttle cables are correct on the far end, wrong at the firewall end and too long to work without being binding.

The solution: combine them.
1.) Cut both the cables and remove the firewall end of the OEM cable by working it out of the socket. Cut the TPI cable's sheath with a dremel to the appropriate length- but ensure the cable is puled out first!
2.) Next, use a drill with a bit the same diameter as the TPI cable and enlarge and clean out the OEM cable's now empty socket. Don't drill too far as the backside is still important to leave intact.
3.) Use progressively smaller bits to ensure all the debris is out and that the cable can slide through the sheath.
4.) Measure the length of the old cable against the complete customized cable and tighten a cable stop at the right length.

End result: a TPI cable that fits the TPI on the throttle body side and the C3 firewall on the other end.

OEM firewall mount custom fitted to the TPI linkage!

That's cool, I had that same problem with the cable being too long. Here's what I ended up doing:

I purchased this universal throttle cable kit made by spectre, it's design to work in several applications and you can trim to fit to match the length you need. Plus the cable end that attaches to the throttle body is adjustable so you can take all the slack out of the gas pedal and it'll be nice and tight.
2333205_104_full.jpg

I think you can still buy these from chain store auto parts store but I got mine off ebay from here.
Spectre. Part #2430
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=300115655075&rd=1,1
Start off by removing your access plate under the steering column and the drivers air duct. Once you do that you'll have plenty of room to get to the pedal linkage.
I also replaced the firewall plate with a piece I cut out of aluminum, since I enlarged the stock piece trying to make a camaro cable work. I drilled a hole that allows the universal cable to slide through since it's round and not square. You can still use your stock plate with NO cutting, this cable will work just fine in a smaller square opening.
2333205_105_full.jpg

Here's the modified plate riveted and attached to the firewall
2333205_106_full.jpg

Here's the universal cable attached to the firewall
2333205_107_full.jpg

And here's the end that attaches to the throttle body linkage....you just trim the metal cable to the correct length and attach this piece with a set screw. All you have to do is get it close and then you can fine tune the tightness.
2333205_109_full.jpg

All done! I used a clamp to hold the cable down a little tighter against the plenum. My gas pedal is all the way out and the linkage works through it's complete motions like it's supposed to do! Very nice and tight and feels "factory"
All done in less than an hour and less than $20.....you can't beat that!
2333205_108_full.jpg

How do all of you get your TPI so shiney. I have a Stock on my 85 and cant get it to shine like this!!!!!!

How do all of you get your TPI so shiney. I have a Stock on my 85 and cant get it to shine like this!!!!!!

I bought mine like that, there are people on the internet that do polishing that can make your unit look the same.

google "TPI polishing" or something similar

Lots of hard work, long hours, sand paper, gloves, and face masks.

Seriously, I started with green Scotch Brite pads, then 400, 600, 800, 1000, followed by 00 and then aluminum polish.

L82back.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom