Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L98 Primary Cooling Fan problem

ThunderVette

Corvette
1990 Red L98 Autotranny
Hello all,
When my C4's L98 engine is On - the Primary Cooling Fan always doesn't rotate - stands still like not powered (or maybe really isn't powered)... Please help how to check for reason and fix that.

Check the relays first.

On 90, i believe they are on the side of the radiator.

vader86 said:
Check the relays first.

On 90, i believe they are on the side of the radiator.
How? Which leads and/or wires (numbers and/or colors) to ground and/or shortcut?

Do you mean that the fan never runs at all?? The fan is controlled by a relay and the fan usually starts when the coolant temperature reaches a specifc temperature. When the engine computer sees a certain temperature it energizes the fan relay and the fan starts to run. The fan will run until the coolant temperature drops to a certain point and the ECM will de-energize the fan relay turning the fan off.

The coolant temperature sensor has to be working in order for the ECM to "see" the coolant temperature and energize the fan relay. Does the coolant temperature display properly on the dash??

I don't have a 90 sevice manual so hopefully somebody with a 1990 will jump in and help. One thing you can easily do is to disconnect the wire going to the fan motor and applying 12v to the fan wire. If the fan is good, it will run. If that works, and the fan does not run at all when the engine is running, I would suspect the relay.

Another test you can make is to ground terminal B of the ALDL to terminal A. That will cause the fan to turn of if everything is working correctly. On the driver's side, look up under the dash in the right corner where the carpeted underside of the dash meets the console tunnel. You should see a plastic connector with two rows of 6 holes (it may have a snap-on cover). Not all of the holes will have terminals in it but the top row should have terminals This connector is used to connect a scan tool to "read" trouble code stored in the ECM. For future reference, these terminals are referred to with letters in this fashion as you are looking at the connector:
F E D C B A
G M

Looking at the connector, use a small paper clip to connect the two right-most terminals (A and B) on the upper row. Have the ignition key turned to "Off" before you insert the paper clip. Then turn the key to the "On" position but DO NOT start the engine. The cooling fan should start as soon as you turn the key on. If it does, the relay is good as is the fan motor. Turn the key off and pull the paper clip and replace the cover if you had one there.

If teh fan does not run, but it will run when you apply 12v as mentioned above, the relay is bad. If the fan runs with the paper clip test but never runs when the engine is running, the coolant temperature sensor may be bad.

HTH!!

I had a similar problem when I bought my 1990. Because the relays are cheap I replaced both of them ($12 Canadian each). No go.

I had already checked the fuse and it was ok. Here is where it became strange...the fan circuit is mis-marked on my fuse box. I can't remember now which one really was for my fan circuit but I found an unrelated fuse that was blown. Replaced it and bingo!...fans away!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom