Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Large gas tank

Bo Dillingham

Corvette
1965 crimson pearl (2002 cadillac?)
During a discussion about old Vettes, a man who owns an auto parts and paint business asked if my '65 had a large gas tank. I'm not sure what the actual volume is, but I know that i was surprised at how much gas it held the last time I put some in (the car is being re-framed at the moment).

The man went on to say that some were built with larger gas tanks, and they are more valuable.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks,
Bo

Bo, the man is right. Midyears that had the large tank, (mainly a race car feature), are extremely rare and more valuable if it was a factory installed option. I believe the actual capacity was 36 gallons or so. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I know the actual numbers of this otion can be viewed at CAC in the tech center section. Most likely, you don't have this option, it would be a rare find! How many gallons does your tank hold?

The "large tank" he is referring to, also often called a "tanker" was an optional 36 gallon tank available on mid-year cars but only on coupes. Most of the rear storage area disapeared in lieu of a monstrosity of a gas tank. Since yours is a 'vert, it would not have the tanker option. The option is pretty rare though, here are the mid-year tanker numbers by year: 1963=63, 1964=38, 1965=41, 1966=66, 1967=2. The tanker option was available in solid axles ordered with hard-top only from 59-62 but numbers are only available for 62 when only 65 were ordered.

Yep. No large tanks in convertibles....your car should have a common 20 gal tank.

If there is something larger in then someone has crafted anything to fit there.

Big tanker cars are pretty seldom....about 66 cars in 1966.

The "tanker" straight axles were 24 gallon, hardtop only, and had the gas cap sticking out of the gas door!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom