Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Last 67

Sting Ray

Corvette
1967 Red Convertible
I can't believe they even got the last purchase price for the car, you could have bought 3 L-36's with A/C for that price, but TM sure could talk a good game.

What did it sell for? I was working.

I guess I should have read the home page before I answered. Actually I thought it would bring more due to the hype of it being the last of an era and the quality of the car.

You could sure put together a nice Corvette collection for the price of that one car though.

I'm sorry guys, but this bothers me. It seems to me like the explicit purpose of finding this car FROM DAY ONE, was to publicize it, choreograph its restoration on TV, sell it, and make big money on it, and for some reason, I have a major problem with that (All from a recognized Corvette source, to boot).

I am not suggesting this was "staged" at all. What I am saying is this: Yes the old solid axles and C2's are valuable. But come on, when did our hobby, passion, and love for these cars change for the worse? I am a 36 year old guy who had a 68 vert and now have a very nice C4, enjoy 'em both.

I LOVE these cars, and it seems like I am becoming a minority in this regard. I would be happier than a clam to find a solid axle or a C2 that time has passed by and no one has stumbled on, even a tub; simply to do a nice, amateur resto on and ENJOY.

Last Stingray, first stingray, 23,563rd stingray, SB, BB, FI or not; ENJOY THEM FOR THE RIGHT REASONS! And I don't feel this is being done with this car, or in general, anymore.

Am I out of line or an idealist?? Feedback either way is much appreciated.

I'm sorry guys, but this bothers me. It seems to me like the explicit purpose of finding this car FROM DAY ONE, was to publicize it, choreograph its restoration on TV, sell it, and make big money on it, and for some reason, I have a major problem with that (All from a recognized Corvette source, to boot).

I am not suggesting this was "staged" at all. What I am saying is this: Yes the old solid axles and C2's are valuable. But come on, when did our hobby, passion, and love for these cars change for the worse? I am a 36 year old guy who had a 68 vert and now have a very nice C4, enjoy 'em both.

I LOVE these cars, and it seems like I am becoming a minority in this regard. I would be happier than a clam to find a solid axle or a C2 that time has passed by and no one has stumbled on, even a tub; simply to do a nice, amateur resto on and ENJOY.

Last Stingray, first stingray, 23,563rd stingray, SB, BB, FI or not; ENJOY THEM FOR THE RIGHT REASONS! And I don't feel this is being done with this car, or in general, anymore.

Yeah I can see your point, but there are some people with the mega bucks, that love to just buy them to look at. I would almost rather have some of the rare, and last cars be sold and kept in almost brand new condition. I mean that way you know they wont get destroyed or stolen etc etc.

Well, the seller of the car is Terry Michaelis, who owns ProTeam Corvette. He's a car salesman. So I'm not sure why you're so shocked that it was all about selling the car.

The reality is that rare cars are just getting more rare, and as a result they will sell for more and more money. This also means more of them will be preserved, rather than going to the scrap heap. I consider this a good thing.

Well, the seller of the car is Terry Michaelis, who owns ProTeam Corvette. He's a car salesman. So I'm not sure why you're so shocked that it was all about selling the car.

The reality is that rare cars are just getting more rare, and as a result they will sell for more and more money. This also means more of them will be preserved, rather than going to the scrap heap. I consider this a good thing.

Yes, but what makes this car rare?

Tom M

Actually this car isn't rare at all. It's just sort of middle of the road as far as color and options go in 1967. The only thing that makes it more valuable than any other top quality restoration of a middle of the market '67 is that it was the last '67 made. They have done a very good job of promoting this car over the last couple of years and it seems that they were successful in convincing a few people with a lot of money. This car with any other serial number and considering it has a non-matching vin engine would have been hard pressed to bring 30% of this selling price.

Tom

Actually this car isn't rare at all. It's just sort of middle of the road as far as color and options go in 1967. The only thing that makes it more valuable than any other top quality restoration of a middle of the market '67 is that it was the last '67 made. They have done a very good job of promoting this car over the last couple of years and it seems that they were successful in convincing a few people with a lot of money. This car with any other serial number and considering it has a non-matching vin engine would have been hard pressed to bring 30% of this selling price.

Tom

I agree and don't see anything special about this "Last Stingray", except it has a restamped, replacement engine. '67's are a dime a dozen, I should know.

One of the most truly significant and valuable cars auctioned at BJ last weekend in my opinion, was the Super Snake, formerly owned by Carroll Shelby. It sold for over $5 million and there was a bidding war right up till the end.

This car is rare, highly desireable and formerly owned by a racing legend, not a car salesman. That's what separates the wheat from the chaff. I'm done. PT :w

carrolls-cobra---10.jpg

Dunno why some folks seem to be shocked about all the hype/marketing/publicity around this car - Terry is a businessman (and a VERY successful one who recognizes a marketing opportunity when he sees it - or creates it), and he's in business to make money. So what's to be surprised about? :)

:beer

Dunno why some folks seem to be shocked about all the hype/marketing/publicity around this car - Terry is a businessman (and a VERY successful one who recognizes a marketing opportunity when he sees it - or creates it), and he's in business to make money. So what's to be surprised about? :)

:beer

Unfortunately for TM, it fell short of his prediction by $400K. The market is not like it once was for Corvette's. I saw him jump in at the last minute and won several cars and he seemed pizzed. My bet is that he bought back several of his own cars. :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom