Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Latest pics of the 81 rebuild

:thumb

Looking good so far!

Great looking! Wonder how you got the back compartment and wheel wells so clean? I did it with diesel but it takes a couple of months to get that smell back out! :D
Good luck!

Groeten Peter

Very nice!! What's the top side look like? :)

Here is a few pics of the TOP side; still a work in progress.

First pic is how it was purchased, sat in a barn for 17 years from what I can figure.
In one pic you'll notice no door handle opening or key hole. Went with remote opening system. Body was lifted off the frame but not a frame off restore, just a rebuild with modifications.

View attachment 21004

View attachment 21005

View attachment 21006

View attachment 21007

View attachment 21008

View attachment 21009

Peer81,

Used a heat gun, putty knife, razor blades and a host of other items to remove the heavy stuff and my favorite product Break Clean by CRC for all of the clean up work, takes alot of rags. Best stuff on the market. No smell afterwards removes all tar, undrecoating, oils and leaves a nice clean surface. The entire frame, wheel wells, floor, interior and underbody surfaces were all cleaned of sound deadener and undercoating.

No small project by any means! Based on what the underside looks like, it'll be good to see the interior and outside get the same treatment. Looking forward to following the progress!

It is really nice work. I am also rebuilding rear suspension and driveline as my differential died. I bought a new composite spring from VBP, but I am curious about the metal frame you have installed above it. What is that?
My spring suppose to be mounted only to crossmember.

It is really nice work. I am also rebuilding rear suspension and driveline as my differential died. I bought a new composite spring from VBP, but I am curious about the metal frame you have installed above it. What is that?
My spring suppose to be mounted only to crossmember.

The suspension on my Vette is also from VBP however it is their full race setup both front and rear part #42000B Performance Plus system with dual mount rear spring kit. Bought it off ebay for a song....:beer

tcxd40

No small project by any means! Based on what the underside looks like, it'll be good to see the interior and outside get the same treatment. Looking forward to following the progress!

The Vette made it to the shop this afternoon final prep work and painting over the next two weeks. I'll post pics once we really get into it this week. New front and rear fascias and new hood (stinger style)all from Ecklers, should be here Monday next week. :beer
tcxd40

Well due to primer choice issues the ride still not painted. Plus the parts from a well known Corvette parts supplier(fiberglass) are really poor in quality. Front and rear bumpers required more than 50 hours each to get the correct fit and still less the the factory ones and they don't fit that well.

Some recent pics, not exciting yet.

View attachment 21643

View attachment 21644

View attachment 21645

View attachment 21646

Removing the door locks I understant but the handles? Are they doing to be electric of what is your idea? :)
Btw. Also look if the primer don't react with the paint, then you get bubbles under the paint as well.
Good luck!

Groeten Peter

Removing the door locks I understant but the handles? Are they doing to be electric of what is your idea? :)
Btw. Also look if the primer don't react with the paint, then you get bubbles under the paint as well.
Good luck!

Groeten Peter
Peer81,

Yes the door are now going to be fully remote, locking, unlocking and opening. Bought a shaved door handle kit with 60# pulls and all hardware to install. I have extra doors that we have been using as test doors to make sure everything works as it should. So far so good.

tcxd40

Work looks excellent. I am in the middle of a frame off on my 1977, and looking at our car begs a few questions if you dont mind.
What filler are you using on your panels. I am using a variety of fiberglass resins etc, but wonder what to use for filling thin areas etc.
You may want to pm me the answer to this one, but who supplied the fiberglass panels, since I have to replace my entire front end.

Again, your work looks excellent.

Cheers

Richard

Nice progress ! :thumb

Question for ya (not critizising, just asking!): 6 lights in the rear? Going retro hu? :chuckle It'll be interesting to see thats for sure. 6 rear lights, no handles and locks. And a Stinger. Cant wait.. :upthumbs

:w
-Stefan

Work looks excellent. I am in the middle of a frame off on my 1977, and looking at our car begs a few questions if you dont mind.
What filler are you using on your panels. I am using a variety of fiberglass resins etc, but wonder what to use for filling thin areas etc.
You may want to pm me the answer to this one, but who supplied the fiberglass panels, since I have to replace my entire front end.

Again, your work looks excellent.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for the compliments, PM sent.

tcxd40

Nice progress ! :thumb

Question for ya (not critizising, just asking!): 6 lights in the rear? Going retro hu? :chuckle It'll be interesting to see thats for sure. 6 rear lights, no handles and locks. And a Stinger. Cant wait.. :upthumbs

:w
-Stefan

Stefan,

YES going retro! :cool
Always wanted a mid year just can't afford one. So I added the extra tail lights as they did in the sixtys and the stinger hood to give it that old school taste. Hopefully we will get it painted soon. Hard to see but the front license plate area is also filled and blended in.

tcxd40

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom