Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Leaking Injector

92LRC

Corvette
92 Red Vert
Looks like I've got a leaking injector. I've got limited mechanical experience.
What's involved in replacing an injector? Is it hard or easy? Mostly is it safe to do in a home garage?
Thanks in advanced for the help.
LT1 - stock
110K miles

Changing injectors on LT1

I just did injectors on my LT1 a week ago. It was way easier than I expected.
  • Relieve fuel pressure.
  • Pop the plastic fuel rail covers off,
  • remove 4 bolts holding the fuel rails to the manifold,
  • unplug 8 injectors,
  • lift the fuel rails straight up (may take considerable force to break loose the o-rings),
  • the injectors will come out of the manifold with the fuel rails. They are clipped on. I was able to swing the fuel rails over the passenger side front tire to keep from spilling gas all over the engine. There's a trick to removing the clips, so look at them carefully. The first one took me ten minutes, the rest took ten seconds.
  • Once the clip is off, the injector will pull out. Might have to twist a little and pull with considerable force, but it will come out. you WILL spill fuel at this point. It's the nature of the job. Best you can do is make sure you relieve fuel pressure before you start (unless the car has been sitting overnight, then the pressure will have bled off enough), keep the fuel rail over a tray or somewhere you can spill gas without hurting anything, and get the new injectors ready to put in before you pull the old ones out.
  • After an injector comes loose from the fuel rail, the clip will slide right out. Re-use the clips on the new injectors. Install the clip, push the new injector into the fuel rail and snap the clip on, making sure not to cut the o-ring.
  • When all 8 injectors are on the fuel rails, put the whole assembly back on the manifold. Line up the injectors with the holes and push a bit to get the o-rings started into the holes, but don't push them all the way in with your hands. They will fit snug once the bolts are in.
  • Put all 4 bolts back securing the fuel rails to the intake manifold, plug in the injectors, and pop the plastic covers back on.
Honestly, that probably took me longer to write than it did to perform. It took less than two hours.​

I will repeat the good advice I read here about which injectors to get. "If your engine is anything close to stock, you don't need bigger injectors." If you change the lbs/hr rating, the computer will just compensate by shortening the pulses. The only time it will matter is on a cold start when it will be running rich and won't idle well, and at wide open throttle when it could also be running too rich and will be less powerful than with the proper injector size. Unless you have made serious modifications like adding a supercharger, installing a crate motor, or something else equally drastic, you're probably ok with the stock injectors on the LT1.​

Hope that helps!
-Rich​

Oh, and one more thing. NO SMOKING!! If the power is out, don't do this job by candlelight...

A little engine oil on the O-rings helps them slide in more easily without the chance to tearing them.

Jake

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom