Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Learning Curve

When I was an ignorant 18 year old kid I made a lot of mistakes but I also learned from those mistakes. I had a '59 Chevy Impala with a HOT 283" that had a '65 Rochester fuel injection and I couldn't get it to run right with the VERY limited knowledge I had at that time. I ended up trading the Rochester for an almost new OEM dual quad intake with a pair of Carter WCFB's and that looked cool but didn't make the power I was hoping it would make at lower rpm's. I traded that for an Offenhauser 2-four cross ram manifold with a pair of 465 cfm #1848 Holley carburetors and immediately learned just how BAD a cross ram manifold is on a street engine as it wouldn't begin making power until 4000 rpm. So I bought a 350 hp 327" aluminum high rise and put one of those 465 cfm Holleys on it. WOW did that ever make a difference as it would smoke the tires all the way thru 1st gear and into 2nd gear.

When it comes to learning new things we all have to go thru a learning curve in which we fall down often. What is important is we learn from those mistakes and never make those same mistakes over again. Ever since those early days I have continued to run single 4-barrel carburetors and high rise intakes because of their simplicity and reliability.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom