Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lexan Top Scratched

silver98

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver Coupe
Hi folks,
The orignal owner of my vette regularly used and automatic car wash :( . The transparent top now has these scratches on it. any idea how to get them out?

Here is a pic of it, not sure how easy it is to see on the pic, but I there is no doubt its easy to see in person.

Any help would be appreciated. The dealer's detailer and 'glass guys' said it could not be buffed out, and no solvents would work. It feels rough to the touch, almost as if something were "on it" as opposed to "in it", but I now believe they truly are scratches.

The lexan tops all get cheesy after a few years. They delaminate, fade and scratch really easily. You can have it repaired where they put a new lexan part on your frame. You can also buy a remanufactured top for less than new.

http://www.corvettettops.com

http://www.astrotops.com

IMHO The best thing to do is to buy a painted top on ebay. It gives your car a Z06 hardtop look and keeps the sun out. It is much less prone to damage. If it does get scratched it can easily and cheaply be repaired. Be patient and one in your color is likely to show up for under $500.00.

An automatic car wash did that? ouch.

(I'm going to slide this thread over to the C5 General section.)

Tammy

I had a '97 that lost the clear coat along the front edge, and in a stripe the entire length of the top just over the passenger's head. That may or may not have anything to do with a car wash, as mine visited the car wash only a few times. However, a few times was too many, as the paint on the rear deck was certainly damaged in those few visits.

Virtually impossible to fix so its back to the original finish. Can't buff out Lexan. Best bet if you have to have a clear top is a replacement, as someone above suggested. Otherwise get a used solid top in any color and get it painted for about $150.

Hey Jrose,

What did you do to prep the Lexan to paint it body color? Is it bizarre to look up from inside the cockpit? How long do you think the paint on Lexan is going to last? etcetera, etcetera, etcetra ...:)

We buffed off the tint, then painted with an epoxy black paint so when you look up inside its body color then primed sanded then painted! Been on there about 4 months and looks great! I'am planning io putting a headliner in but haven't yet. It makes a huge difference on the amount of heat that comes in!:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom