Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

(LI) NY (and surrounding area) Corvette Owners&Enthusiasts - anyone heading to this?

*89x2*

I saw this and talked my wife into driving up for this - Looks like some world class Vettes will be there :cool

Knowing there are a lot of Callaways on L.I. NY, and the surrounding area, I thought it was worth mentioning here :cool

Anyone interested??? Looks like it may be an NCRS only thing??? Is anyone familiar w/ the protocol here??

http://www.metroli.com/pdf/raceday2c.pdf

CORVETTE RACEDAY
[FONT=Arial,Bold]Featuring Guest Speaker [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]DICK GULDSTRAND
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]Saturday, June 3 [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]rd [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold], 10:00 AM, Rain or Shine
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Italic](I In nd do oo or r F Fa ac ci il li it ty [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]y)
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,BoldItalic]NCRS METRO - LONG ISLAND CHAPTER
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Italic]in conjunction with [/FONT][FONT=Arial,BoldItalic]DeMonte
Motorsports
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Italic]will host a
[/FONT]special day of [FONT=Arial,Bold]Corvette Race Cars
[/FONT]DeMonte Motorsports, a Busch North Series racing team and builder of NASCAR stock cars, is hosting a full day
of Corvette race car activities, talks, tech sessions, and tours. Listed below are just some of the activities planned
for the day:
[FONT=Arial,Bold]Technical talk [/FONT]by world-renowned Corvette race car driver and builder [FONT=Arial,Bold]Dick Guldstran[/FONT]d.
[FONT=Arial,Bold]NCRS (1) point Judging School [/FONT]on "Judging the Legal Description of the 1967 Corvette" by [FONT=Arial,Bold]Al Grennin[/FONT]g.
[FONT=Arial,Bold]On display will be some of the most famous Corvette race cars in history.
Over $20 MILLION worth of rare Corvettes:
[/FONT]o 1960 Briggs Cunningham Le Mans race car - owned by Miller family
o 1961 Big Brake, Big Tank, raced at NY National Speedway - owned by Bill Armstrong
o 1962 #5 Bardahl racer - owned by Irwin Kroiz
o 1962 Drag racer- Quentin Carbone/Chris Tucci
o 1966 425 hp convertible race car - owned by Nick Culkowski
o 1966 Best Photo race car - owned by Larry Sachs
o 1966 Cornelius Corvette, raced at Daytona - owned by Bill Skinner
o 1966 Development L-88, Penske race car, Sebring & Daytona winner - owned by Kevin Mackay
o 1967 L-88 coupe, street legal drag race car - owned by Phil Castaldo
o 1969 ZL-1 (only 2 known to exist) - owned by John Maher
o 1968 car #2 Sunray DX race car - owned by Mark Mehl
o 1968 car #3 Sunray DX race car - owned by Irwin Kroiz
o 1968 #12 Owens Corning race car - owned by John Thompson
o 1969 L-88 See-Thru Corvette, street legal - owned by Kevin Mackay
o 1969 BFG #49 Stars and Stripes rolling chassis display - owned by John Thompson
o 1996 Grand Sport, Speedvision GT Challenge - owned by Tony Cocurullo
o Mallet ZO6 - owned and currently raced by J.R. Amantea
[FONT=Arial,Bold]Display of Corvette die-cast race cars [/FONT]- Bill and Margaret Hermanek
[FONT=Arial,Bold]SPECIAL DISPLAY OF L88 AND L89 CORVETTES
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]Tour of DeMonte Motorsports
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]Tour a state-of-the-art race car hauler
Lunch and Refreshments served to all paid members and guests.
DeMonte Motorsports 35 Trade Zone Ave, Ronkonkoma, NY 11779 (631) 981-2218
[/FONT]Directions: L.I. Expressway to Exit 57 South (Veterans Highway - 454), south to Foreign Trade Zone sign (first light after
airport entrance), turn left, make immediate right when entering industrial park (Foreign Trade Zone Drive). DeMonte
Motorsports is the last building on the left.
All registrants are required to pay
[FONT=Arial,Bold]$15.00 per person [/FONT](adult or child), payable to [FONT=Arial,Bold]NCRS Metro - L[/FONT]I. Absolutely no walk-ins -
you must register by mail. Registration forms must be received by Wed, June 1
st , and should be mailed to:
[FONT=Arial,Bold]Margaret Hermanek, 31 Wildwood Lane, Smithtown, NY 11787 (631) 360-1216
[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]--------
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]REGISTRATION FORM - CORVETTE RACEDAY
NAME:
[/FONT]___________________________________________ [FONT=Arial,Bold]NCRS#:______________ # of GUESTS: [/FONT]_______
[FONT=Arial,Bold]ADDRESS: _________________________________________________________________________
CITY: _________________________________________ STATE: ________ ZIP: ________________
PHONE #: ________________________________ FEE ($15.00 per Person) - Amount Enclosed: ___________
[/FONT]

callaway4fun said:
Wow my plans changed with the weather. Let me tell you those were some really nice cars

Pete, it was great that you were able to drop by the show - There were some amazing Corvettes there - Aside from a Callaway Corvette :cool
there were three 67 L88's, a handful of 68 L88's, a couple 69 L88's and a 6,000 mi L89 :eek

There was also a 1 of 1, 1966 L88 - and some of the New York areas coolest "retro racers" like the Motion cars and one of the two ZL1 Corvettes EVER made :cool

Mark and Chris were there along w/ Pete to represent the Callaway owners, along w/ yours truly :lou

That AeroCallaway that showed up looked NICE :v

thanks

hey, it was real nice to meet you guys down at the show on saturday. i wanted to thank you for taking the time to check out number 69. my brother in law and i enjoyed all the show cars,especially the old drag cars. if he doesn't sell it in the next month we made arrangement for me to buy it from him. i drove it home to my house and it looks good in my garage. it will look even better with another 100 horsepower. thanks

:cool Looks like that show was a great get together of some significant Vette history. I will always have a place in my heart for the L-88 cars. In the day they were Awesome! Thanks for pictures Chris. :beer

100 + Horsepower IS the way to go :)

930 turbo said:
hey, it was real nice to meet you guys down at the show on saturday. i wanted to thank you for taking the time to check out number 69. my brother in law and i enjoyed all the show cars,especially the old drag cars. if he doesn't sell it in the next month we made arrangement for me to buy it from him. i drove it home to my house and it looks good in my garage. it will look even better with another 100 horsepower. thanks

I think either way, you will be fine - if the guy doesn't buy the car, you have a NICE Callaway Aero car :cool

It was a good runner and we made "boost" in 3 gears - I talked about all the cars virtues w/ your brother - in - law and he seemed very pleased w/ the car as well - ENjoy!

p.s. That BBQ was DARN GOOD! :m

C-4 Now said:
:cool Looks like that show was a great get together of some significant Vette history. I will always have a place in my heart for the L-88 cars. In the day they were Awesome! Thanks for pictures Chris. :beer

Ike, with enough L88's to cause an earthquake, it sure was a once-in-a-lifetime event! :cool

1 (of 1) 1966 L88 :eek
3 1967 L88's - one was a "tanker"
3 1968 L88's - the Yenko prepped racers :cool
2 1969 L88's - including the "Bodyless L88" :eek
1 L88 "chassis" car - under resto

Also, 1 of the two ZL1's
and one of the alumn. head L89's

There were other cars there too of significance - but those were simply breath stealers! ...they certainly took mine away!

67 Heaven: I agree that they are still awesome! I was just indicating that time marches on to newer cars like the now awesome C-6 Z-06. I was at Bloomington in 88 when they had the L-88 Earthquake event to see how many they could have on the show field and start at one time. It was a sound to remember, especially with the header side pipes on some of the cars. I received an invite but had already sold my L-88 by that time. The Special Collection of L-88's that year was definately AWESOME!! :beer

I should find my Special Collection book from that year. I think afew of the LI show cars were there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom