Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lifter noise...

Corvette
1987 Z52 Black Convertible
1999 Alero GLS 3.4, a little over 107,000 miles. I noticed tonight while waiting at Mcdonalds next to the building I could hear a ticking. I put it in neutral took it to about 1500 RPMs and it got louder. When I got home I checked the oil, and to my suprise it was full to the mark and exceptionally CLEAN. This oil change has approximently 2k on it. I am not sure what to do. I have heard of people saying to run additives to try and clear it up, and people saying not to. Thanks.

Anybody? I use Castrol 10w30 high mileage, and AcDelco filter. And I don't know if its lifters or not but something is ticking away.

noisy lifters

Hi Vettefan 87, what happened did you ever find the problem, noisy lifter, regards .

I am not really sure what it is. It doesn't use hardly any oil, and the oil is very clean in between oil changes. It doesn't have an oil pressure gauge so I don't know what it is at.

I am not really sure what it is. It doesn't use hardly any oil, and the oil is very clean in between oil changes. It doesn't have an oil pressure gauge so I don't know what it is at.​
I've had to change the Oil Pump on a few 3.4's!! I'd get a manual oil pressure gage and hook it up in the system and see what the pressure is dropping to after it's good and warm at idle!! PS I've also seen the fuel injectors make allot of noise on the 3.4's too!!:upthumbs

I've had to change the Oil Pump on a few 3.4's!! I'd get a manual oil pressure gage and hook it up in the system and see what the pressure is dropping to after it's good and warm at idle!! PS I've also seen the fuel injectors make allot of noise on the 3.4's too!!:upthumbs

Hmmm interesting. Now that you've said that I haven't really noticed it get any louder with increased RPM's.

ticking noise

Hi vettefan 87 the reason i asked was i had a funny experiance a few years ago so i tell you about it, like Gm junkie said could be oil pressure problems, any way approx 1999 i purchased a used honda crv 1996 model with 80000km on the clock car was great when i got to approx 98000km, it started ticking like a noisy lifter, so i called a honda dealer, he asked if i was useing honda feo oil i said no, i had mostly used Pennzoil, or castrol, so i purchased some Feo, honda high performance oil, its 10w 30, API SL. they said its sold world wide after approx 500kms, the noise went away i could not believe it, sold that vehicle to my daughter she has done approx 130000km still know problems, and i now own a 2001 honda odyssey and use Honda Feo oil in that all the time. Now a mate of mine owns a old 69 Buick Riviera it had a couple of noisy lifters so i told him about Feo oil, he changed it and believe it or not did the same thing it fixed it and hes never had a problem a gain. Regards Wayne.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom