Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! lifter problem??? 1974

johnrem46

Corvette
1974 Bright yellow t top
Heard a ticking for a few weeks finaly took off the valve cover and discovered that one of my push rods was just sitting in its slot with about 1/4 in of the rod above the head. What has happened? did the lifter become dislogged from its seat? The rocker arm is just hanging and is not connected to the push rod. I can remove the rod put it just does not seat into anything.Can any one help. As you can all see I know very little about this. I only hope I am explaing this correctly so some one can help.

Heard a ticking for a few weeks finaly took off the valve cover and discovered that one of my push rods was just sitting in its slot with about 1/4 in of the rod above the head. What has happened? did the lifter become dislogged from its seat? The rocker arm is just hanging and is not connected to the push rod. I can remove the rod put it just does not seat into anything.Can any one help. As you can all see I know very little about this. I only hope I am explaing this correctly so some one can help.
Can you post a pic?

Clean the pushrod, then find a flat surface (Like a plate of glass) and roll the pushrod down it, if it wobbles it's bent. If not, you have a collapsed lifter. Being a 1974, Motor oils have changed (Hib Halverson has just finished a real good two part series on Motor oils in 'CorvetteEnthusiast' Magazine. You might have worn out a lobe on you cam, But I'll bet it's just a bad lifter. Good Luck.

BTW, you don't just replace the bad lifter, you replace all of them once the manifold is off. :eyerole

Another possability is the lifter plunger popped out when it pumped up.Take a flashlight look down in there and see if the lifter hasent come apart if so intake has to come off the very least.

Hey Johnrem, never a good thing. Good possibility that you have wiped a lobe on your cam. Maybe it's a stuck lifter but if so now your cam is questionable. Maybe your rocker arm stud stripped. Until you start taking it down you won't know.

1975 lifter problem

I seen this thread and figured I would try to get a reply. I have a 1975 with 1 lifter not pushing the push rod up and only have about 10'000 miles since the engine was rebuilt. The rebuild was a while a go before I bought the car, but I checked the push rod and it looked straight and oil was coming out the top like the rest. Could it be just a sticky lifter and how would I find out and do I fix this problem, Thanks;help

It sounds as if you might need to adjust your valves. This is something that you can do on your own. If you can get someone to crank the engine while the valve cover is off you will be able to see if the valve is opening and closing. Dis connect the power to your distributor before the cranking the engine and it will keep the engine from starting. If the valves are opening and closing properly then you will need to check your valve lash and adjust the valves according to the manual.

I seen this thread and figured I would try to get a reply. I have a 1975 with 1 lifter not pushing the push rod up and only have about 10'000 miles since the engine was rebuilt. The rebuild was a while a go before I bought the car, but I checked the push rod and it looked straight and oil was coming out the top like the rest. Could it be just a sticky lifter and how would I find out and do I fix this problem, Thanks;help

If you turn the engine over by hand and that one pushrod does not come up then it's likely the camshaft has failed. Get the intake off, remove the lifter and inspect that lobe. If it's worn flat, overhaul the engine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom