Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEELS-any input?

qwik-tripp

Corvette
1965 Triple Black 365 A/C 4sp Vert
Does anyone have any experience with replacing the stock dual mass flywheel with either an aluminum or lightweight billet unit? I have heard that the single mass type or lightweight are very noisey. I am wondering how noisey that is, and also what type of performance gains to expect.

lightweight flywheel

I have the Fidenza aluminum flywheel with a spec II clutch on an LT4.This is just my opinion,so take it with a grain of salt....The motor winds up quicker due to the loss of the weight(makes sense to me)which equates to better seat of the pants feel.It makes the drivetrain noisy with the clutch out at idle(clackety clack thru the gearbox).I think it feels different,touchy,when engaging from a stop,almost feels like it engages twice(sounds weird,I know).Please take that last comment lightly,I have a slave cylinder leaking which may be part of that problem.( :L )Anyway,you forget about the noise it makes, when you step on the pedal, and the ass end breaks loose in three gears!(at least in mine it does!)And your reminded again at the drive up window at McDonalds when it is echoing off the wall.Anyway,thats my two cents...hope it helps!:L :_rock

Thanks alot for the info, I think I can agree that the increase in performance will drown out the noise. I am going to check back in later today for any more advise then I will most likely order 1 tonight. When I replaced the clutch I couldn't believe the weight of that thing so its going to be really hard to pull engine and not replace that boat anchor.

Have not had experience with this exact problem, but light flywheels in my opinion are for the the track. The heavy wheel is what keeps you going when you are just puttering around. If you go to a lighter wheel you can plan on using lower gears and shifting more around town. I wouldn't be to quick to act until we get some more opinions.

Thanks Grizzly for the info. I sure thought there would be a lot more people with this type setup. I have a few more days to order not balancing until next friday.
STILL LOOKING FOR USED SHORTY HEADERS ANY OUT THERE?

from my experience with them, you won't like it on a daily driver. it makes the car easy to stall from a start, erratic idle, operational noise and very short service life are a heavy price to pay for quicker revs and slighlty increased compression breaking. the aluminum wears fast and unevenly, giving you a jerky engagement at best. they work great for track cars that see more than their fair share of maintenance. good luck getting other opinions and hopefully what you end up with makes you happy. Brian

Thanks Brian,I think i will wait a while there are lots of mixed reviews on this so I will not buy one now.I guess the one in my 92 has provided 110000 miles of fun so far. so I may just keep it.

AKRAY4PLAY said:
from my experience with them, you won't like it on a daily driver. it makes the car easy to stall from a start, erratic idle, operational noise and very short service life are a heavy price to pay for quicker revs and slighlty increased compression breaking. the aluminum wears fast and unevenly, giving you a jerky engagement at best. they work great for track cars that see more than their fair share of maintenance. good luck getting other opinions and hopefully what you end up with makes you happy. Brian
I have a fidanza aluminum flywheel with Sprung hub disc and stock Pressure plate. I would not trade it for anything. before I had a Centerforce single mass flywheel/ Sprung hub set-up, the Centerforce FW weighed 38lbs. my fidanza is 13 lbs. I have had more enjoyment with the lighter flywheel then the old set-up. The noise is not THAT BAD, even with a black tag trans, Granted it take getting use to lanuching it with out stalling it but I have gotten better. As for the erratic idle, mine idles perfect just like it should. With the Centerforce the noise was almost not there (close to stock) with the lighter flywheel it makes more noise, all depends on what you are willing to live with.

Also with the Aluminim flywheel they have a nice Steel insert friction surface so you are not wearing against aluminum. the nice thing about this is if the friction surface goes bad, you just buy and replace the insert, not the whole flywheel.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom