Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Living with it every day

Lanzz

Corvette
Not yet - '06 Cadillac DTS
Guys and Gals - I know this has been asked before, so forgive the redundant question... I am considering a C6 coupe when my current car lease is up. I am not sure if I can live with a C6 as my only car, but my living situation does not permit me to own more than 1 vehicle. (I live in NYC and I pay $600 a month to park.)

I only drive on weekends, and really only for recreation - I don't commute by car, except for occasional trips to clients during the week. I rarely drive with more than one other person in the car.

Is a C6 livable under these conditions? What can I expect in terms of maintenance costs? I am going to be buying tires every year? Is it drivable on rainy days / cold winter days (not planning to drive in snow).

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions - I have always wanted a Corvette, and the timing is starting to feel right. I'd really appreciate a your experience to paint a realistic picture of the ownership experience.

As a point of information, I drive a Cadillac DTS right now - so a big change from that. I have owned a Camaro SS, which was a great car, also an Infiniti M45. Thanks.

Hi Lanzz, and welcome to CAC!!!

Hopefully, I can help you a bit here.
I have an 07 vert. I pretty much only drive it on weekends such as you would be, but the car is very livable, and I could use it as my daily driver if I wanted to. The ride is great and smooth!!! My son goes to sleep in it on trips to the beach!! :)
As for maintenance cost, I can't help you there since mine has yet to be in the shop for anything. It does however have a 5yr/100K warranty on it. As for the tires, expect to get 15-20K out of the run flats, depending on your driving habits. I got 15k out of them on my C5.

My only concern with having a C6 in NYC would be the insurance cost. I know living in the city, you'd probably get raped for insurance. I'd explain to my agent that the vette would be a pleasure car, used on weekends, and maybe they could work something out so you don't pay thru the butt.

To put it simply, yes, I could live the C6 Corvette as my only car. I know it's getting way better gas mileage than my Sierra!!

Welcome to the CAC Lanzz,

I agree with what Chrisr said above, and I can tell you from having my '07 as my daily driver (in MI, LOL). 300#'s of sand bags and a gentle foot on the throttle and I had no problems, even driving it in the snow.

I LOVE the car, it's a GREAT daily driver and I have had no maintenance issues either.

Hecox

I do not have a C6, but I have owned two C5's. Both were daily drivers, including my current Z06. Two things come to mind. Corvettes don't always do parking garages very well. If there are abrupt changes in floor angles (abrupt ramp grades) where you park, that could be an issue. If there is snow on the road very often, that could be an issue as well. My Corvette is the WORST snow car I have ever driven. It borders on undriveable. Otherwise, I have used my Corvettes as daily drivers for the last eight years.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Funny thing, Chris, insurance is not a big deal anymore. As I get older (sigh) the insurance cost in Manhattan is not terrible. Right now, I pay about $1,400 per year for really good State Farm coverage. My Camaro SS insurance was a lot higher, around $2,400 per year, but I would pay that kind of rate to drive a C6. I am planning to get a quote from State Farm in the next few weeks.

Drth - no issues with ramp angles - my $600 a month gets me a reserved spot on the main floor. My current car is parked two spaces away from a sweet C5 convertible.

I didn't want to jump on this ,I wanted to give my honest opinion.After a few hour of thought (very difficult ) I'd say go for it.I can't think of any real big issue. :D

I didn't want to jump on this ,I wanted to give my honest opinion.After a few hour of thought (very difficult ) I'd say go for it.I can't think of any real big issue. :D
Face it Vett Boy,at your age your Lucky to Crawl!!:boogie:boogie:boogieNow for the C6,I say go for it!!I don't have one yet,but I have a Soul Brother thats getting one and I figure on Inheriting it!!!!:chuckle:chuckle

:Steer:lou:Steer:lou :D:D:D

I think that most if not all of Vette owners never regret their decision to go ahead and buy the car. I just told myself it's now or in 30 years when i retire.. i chose now and I have not regretted my choice.

Given your situation i think you should go for it, you'll be amazed at the difference and the ride comfort, it's so unlike a Sedan or even an old muscle car... it becomes your domain and barely any other place is comfier.

I think we all believe you should go for it :upthumbs

I think you will be pleased if you decide to but the Vette. I bought my C6 Coupe 2 months ago and it was supposed to be a weekend driver... Well I have only driven my other car to work one day since I took delivery of my Vette. Besides the gas mileage increase the car is just fun to drive. I can't say enough good things about it.

Our Vettes are pretty much daily drivers. My wife drives her C6 every day. If the other issues mentioned here have been addressed, then I see no problem with using a C6 as a daily driver.

Thanks for the insight, everyone. I got an insurance quote today - only about $10 more a month than I pay to insure the Cadillac. About $1,500 per year for full coverage - not bad for this neck of the woods.

Even guys w/2 cars only drive their vettes on weekends and like that.Very similar to what you described.I know a guy up here (Lake George area) that commutes to Manhattan 2 or 3 times a week in his Vette.I do it myself when I go see my kid and friends in the BRONX.Now,if you're looking for that CADILLAC RIDE this ain't it!!:D It's a fun car to drive and you will enjoy it,just stay away from rush hour down there!!:L

Chevrolet knew what they were doing when they redesigned the Corvette. The c4 wasn't a very practical daily driver, even though I drove mine every day. When they brought out the c5 and c6, it was obvious that their main goal was to make the car much more reliable, civilized and comfortable for daily driving and liveability. There is much more cargo space, more interior space, and the car is quieter. Visibility through the huge windshield is outstanding. And my c6 has been ten times more reliable than my old c4, I can't think of a single problem I've had with it. Handles well in the rain. My complaints are few: the front end is very low and the air dam scrapes on everything, but it's designed to do this, it's flexible. The tires are expensive, but how often do you buy tires anyway.

This is without a doubt the best car I've ever owned, and whenever I park it somewhere I always turn and look at it, it's a gorgeous car. People come up to me all the time asking about it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom