Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lokar emergency brake vs stock brake handle..

Stan's Customs

Corvette
Project 1961....
I noticed that several have used the Lokar emergency brake handle on their retro cars with after market frames. I was wondering if this was because the stock handles wouldn't work well or ...the Lokar was used because the stock handles wern't available or are very expensive or both.

I have a nice stock one and am wondering if there is a good reason not to use it.

Thanks ...Stan M.

Stan,

The problem is in getting enough mechanical advantage out of the original handle to work the calipers on a C4 rear suspension. If the rear uses drum-type parking brakes, you could probably make the handle work with the proper lever on the frame to change the mechanical advantage of the brake cable pull. Even after putting a Lokar handle on my car, I would hate to have to rely on it to stop my car!
My newest project uses an electric emergency brake actuator from a Linclon LS, and it develops up to 1800 pounds of cable pull. I believe that will get the job done!

Regards, John McGraw

Thanks John....

Of course..I should have known that...I'm looking at so many different things on this project this week that I'm brain dead I guess. Trying not to forget anything....

I'm having to rethink the plan I rethought before I rethought it last time. Lost my body man it seems...So back to the board...

Thanks very much once again ....Stan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom