Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[LONG] A Callaway story...my weekend

• Thread starter Thread starter SurfnSun
  • Start date Start date
S

SurfnSun

Friday night the rain started to fall. It didn't look so good for the OctoberVettes show in Kissimmee, FL. I left work at 1230pm and drove to Gainesville, FL to pick up the love of my life. I picked her up and we drove back to Ocala in my trust Honda Civic. The rain had stopped.

When we arrived home I started packing car cleaning tools for the show on Saturday. I hadn't had a chance to clean the car from its 3 month stay at the Vette Doc yet.

On the road trip down the Callaway ran flawlessly. Every time there was a 1/2 mile of empty road, Tessa was asking me to make it go fast again. We enjoyed a few triple digit blasts on the way down. I promise I didn't go almost double the 70mph limit either ;)

About 10 miles from Orlando, I needed a pit stop. As we came back out I jumped in my car and turned the key. Nothing. @$%#$% I thought Mike had fixed that clutch switch. Ok my starter must be heat soaked. I popped the hood and forced the cooling fans to come on. No sooner than I had my hood up I noticed a guy(early 20s) eyeing my motor. I kinda gave him a wave and kept messing around. Finally I guess curiousity got the best of him "Is that really a Callaway twin turbo?" he asked. "Yes" I said, not really in the mood to talk. He asked a few more questions and complimented my car and left. No sooner another guy showed up looking my car over as if it was at a car show. My girlfriend was amused. She still didn't understand the Callaway stigma.

Well finally I decided to tap my starter one time, she fired right up. As we were leaving the rest area, low and behold a newer Porsche 911 turbo right in front of me. The adrenaline flowed. As soon as we hit the on ramp he nailed in, and I was ready. The Callaway took off like a jet off an aircraft carrier and I was closed in rapidly. Once we got out on the highway I pulled up next to him and he grinned and waved, but there would be no good race due to traffic and me exiting. I think he knew he be in trouble :D

We got to the show, got our room, and went to dinner. After dinner we went to the pool party and drank a little too much of the free beer that was for the Corvette people.

The next morning I woke up feeling a little rough and jumped outta bed and took my car over to the show. Tessa didn't make it over til 11am :L

I met several people from CF and CAC at the show and the B2k generated A LOT of interest. Talking to people about the car and seeing the curiosity and excitement about it, is every bit as fun as driving it.

After the show we went crusing and the rains came. We decided to go to Disney and park the car. I had to drive the car in the rain a bit but then we snuck it into a private area and parked it. Dinner at Epcot and got rained out at MGM.

As opposed to driving the car home in the rain we got a room in Orlando and stayed the night. The hotel we stayed in had a covered parking deck, we parked on the top covered level and the car had the whole thing to its self.

This morning we woke up packed the car and came home. The b2k performed flawlessly with only some idle surging in the heat that all tpi cars do in my experience. I did blast a Mustang GT into oblivion from the toll booth and the backed off to legal speeds were I claimed 25mpg at 70mph!!!! My best mpg ever in a Vette.

I just dropped Tessa back off at the airport in Gainesville and now Im ready for bed.

Total cost- $350
Total mileage on the b2k- 220mi
Value of the weekend- priceless

:beer

heh heh... we won't talk about what that digital speedo could have read :gap

Surf... Glad the in car cam was on :upthumbs

You were obviously burning up the road while she slept ;)

Great story. I love reading about that kind of stuff!!

Josh,
Glad to hear your weekend went great. It was cool to meet up with you. I had a blast also.......it was a pretty good turnout. Next time I might have to jump in the Callaway for a quick ride:D

Jay

Darn, I missed another show! :mad

I was planning on going this year but being that I just made it home from California very late Friday night/Saturday morning and I was in no mood to go anywhere, let alone remember that Octobervettes was this last weekend.

Oh, well!....

Next weekend is Ecklers but I have way too many things to catch up on around the house so I will have to pass on that as well.

Luigi
:cool

No start problem

Josh,

I suspect your no start problem was due to the VATS (vehicle anti theft system) acting up, and not your starter. I used to have regular (2-3 times per month) problems on my 86 coupe and I just had a probable VATS problem on my 92 Callaway ZR1.

The VATS can be bypassed to avoid these periodic no start problems. The next time it happens to my ZR1, I will bypass the system and post how to do it on the board. Life is too short to be sitting around with a car that looks good but won't start.

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom