Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: long round trip

procketus

Corvette
1980 all Black
Got up this morning to a nice day and the wife and I decided to take a cruise up to the Boone-Blowing Rock area.:) It's not but an hour north of us. Thought we would have lunch somewhere around there and do some window shopping.
Well, as usual things don't go as planned. I decided to keep on going north up 321(for those who live around here in NC) got to the 321,421 split and took 421 towards Bristol TN. Little did we realize what a ride it is.:eek There is a section called the Snake. 22 miles of narrow 2 lane back and forth, hairpins and shear dropoffs.:D Just what these things were built for. I think it was the 3rd time I squealed the tires in a corner the wife "Calmly" asked me to slow it down.:chuckle About halfway thru there is a general store. Good for a rest stop and check out the bikes and other cars going thru there. They also have a "Wall of Shame". While there we were trying to figure out to keep going to Bristol or head back to Boone for lunch. She did not want to go thru there again. So, north bound we went to Bristol. Little did she know another 11 miles of the same thing.:L
Haven't been to Tail of the Dragon YET, but it's close.
Anyway, we finally got to Bristol, had lunch and headed back home. Lo and behold there's the Speedway. Quick U-turn and we pulled in. I've been there before but she hadn't. Unfortunately they have the x-mas tour going and I couldn't pull up close enough.
Left there and headed south again down 19 towards 321 and Boone and home. We left here at 9 in the morning and pulled in the driveway at 4.
I figure it was over a 200 mile round trip.
The reason I'm stoked is it's the first time taking this car on a trip like that. Only had the car a couple months. It ran flawlessy and I won't think twice about doing it again.
Oh, and the other Vettes we saw on the road did give the :w even some guys on the Harleys.
Sorry for long post, just happy we finally took a "cruise" with it.

No need to apologize - that's a great write-up of an awesome trip!!

But I will have to scold you and subtract 5 points because you didn't take photos to share. ;)

So tell us more about the snake... you say it's 421, between the 321 split and Bristol TN? Is that correct? I've driven the Dragon several times, alone and with the CAC SE Region Crew of Dragon Slayers.

Some nice roads to cruise in NC and TN. I'll have to start thinking of going back soon.
:wJane Ann

Scold away. I was kicking my own butt for not bringing the camera.:mad We'll go back again.;) Although there really isn't too many spots to pull off. One spot, almost to the end of the first section(heading north) has an excellent view of the valley a few miles away.

Yea 421 comes into Bristol on the north end of town. So you can take 421 south and it leads to where 321 and 421 split just north of Boone.

Well I originally thought the car made it ok. But nooooo.
Went out today to add a fuel filter to it and when I fired it up to check for leaks the alternator was dancing all over. Looked down at the bracket and it had snapped off where it bolts thru to the water pump.:ugh

Oh well easy fix. Just lined it up with one of the accessory holes in the head and drilled a hole, found a spacer and bolted her back together. Good enough until I get another one.:)

when I was down there in June,I was absolutley amazed at how breath taking the mountains and the scenery was!!

Ahh. I feel the same way when we get back to NY. We are originally from the Rochester area. Appreciate looking at a lake and NOT see the other side. Like the scenery up where you are also. Especially the 1000 island area. After being down here for 15 yrs. it kinda grows on you.

Funny, I just found a set of door panels, 3of4 pcs for seat covers and an electric antenna in Sodus for 150 bucks. ;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom